Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe CrAzY Elec Probs...Plz Help!!

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2011, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tahoe CrAzY Elec Probs...Plz Help!!

Hi! I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and BOY does it have issues...i'll try to keep this short.
#1 Last night, I had the dvd/nav/radio system on, my iphone charging in the cig plug and i was driving with my low beams on. Well, I went to flip my high beams on AND my radio/nav system shut itself off and then back on! I did it over and over, from low beam to hi beams, and everytime the radio would shut off and then turn back on!! Well, I unplugged my phone from the cig plug and the problem was gone!! What the heck?? This has never happened before! And I've driven with radio, high beams and phone charging MANY times!!
#2 Now, before all that happened,,,,about 2 weeks ago I had stopped to get my son. I turned off the ignition and was gonna just sit in the truck and wait on him. Well, at the time I thought nothing about it, but as soon as I switched off the ignition, the radio and everything turned off...instead of staying on for a certain period of time or until the drivers door is opened. Well, 15mins later, I tried to crank it...NOTHING! It wouldn't even try to turn over. BUT, when the ignition was turned to the on position, the RPM & Spedomemter hands were flicking (jumping) and I could hear a clicking noise in my door that sounded like someone was repeatedly pushing the window control button. Well, a friend looked under the hood, wiggled the battery cable connections and said, idk, connections seem fine. Well I tried once more AND it cranked right up!! I had the battery tested and was told it was fine. And this hasn't happened since.
Well, before those two issues....I was having odd problems. Front passenger door lock went out, then within days the rear passenger door lock also went out. I would exit my tahoe and not touch the key fob...BUT the truck would lock and the horn would sound by itself...as if I had locked the doors using the key fob. Having these issues, my dealership decided the door actuators needed to be replaced. So both passenger ones were replaced. And I thought all was good....til issue #1 & #2 started....I havent taken it to the dealership yet.
So...any ideas on what I could do?
Thanks in advance!!
Old May 28th, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine
Hi! I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ and BOY does it have issues...i'll try to keep this short.
#1 Last night, I had the dvd/nav/radio system on, my iphone charging in the cig plug and i was driving with my low beams on. Well, I went to flip my high beams on AND my radio/nav system shut itself off and then back on! I did it over and over, from low beam to hi beams, and everytime the radio would shut off and then turn back on!! Well, I unplugged my phone from the cig plug and the problem was gone!! What the heck?? This has never happened before! And I've driven with radio, high beams and phone charging MANY times!!
#2 Now, before all that happened,,,,about 2 weeks ago I had stopped to get my son. I turned off the ignition and was gonna just sit in the truck and wait on him. Well, at the time I thought nothing about it, but as soon as I switched off the ignition, the radio and everything turned off...instead of staying on for a certain period of time or until the drivers door is opened. Well, 15mins later, I tried to crank it...NOTHING! It wouldn't even try to turn over. BUT, when the ignition was turned to the on position, the RPM & Spedomemter hands were flicking (jumping) and I could hear a clicking noise in my door that sounded like someone was repeatedly pushing the window control button. Well, a friend looked under the hood, wiggled the battery cable connections and said, idk, connections seem fine. Well I tried once more AND it cranked right up!! I had the battery tested and was told it was fine. And this hasn't happened since.
Well, before those two issues....I was having odd problems. Front passenger door lock went out, then within days the rear passenger door lock also went out. I would exit my tahoe and not touch the key fob...BUT the truck would lock and the horn would sound by itself...as if I had locked the doors using the key fob. Having these issues, my dealership decided the door actuators needed to be replaced. So both passenger ones were replaced. And I thought all was good....til issue #1 & #2 started....I havent taken it to the dealership yet.
Thanks in advance!!
I'd run it right back into the dealership and let them diagnose it... sounds too inconsistant to really nail down other than something has gone horribly wrong with your wiring or something.

:chug:
Old May 28th, 2011, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thx Chug! I will take it to the dealership Mon or Tues.
I tried to duplicate the issue from last nite (radio shuts off w phone charging, when flipping high beams on) and I couldn't get it to happen again today! Ugh!!
Funny thing is, I never had any issues w it until they disconnected the washer fluid warmer due to a recall.
Old May 31st, 2011, 9:10 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine
Thanks in advance!!
Sunshine,

I am very sorry to hear that you’re experiencing so many issues with your Tahoe. I agree with Hicksvilleshick that you should take it to the dealership get a diagnosis. Please let me know what the dealership has to say.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the original battery? these things are tough on batteries so you may want to get a new one ASAP before it leaves you stranded. don't trust the dealership to test it either. take it to another autoparts store or just put a new one in.
I replaced our original one about 6 months ago. like you it randomly had issues starting here and there. I jumped it a couple times w/o any issue for months so I didnt worry about it, until one day it was 100% dead in the AM.

other than that it could be a very random wire or ground somewhere that could be really tough to locate unfortuantely
Old May 31st, 2011, 9:23 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Sunshine: Welcome to the forum.

Since I don't believe in coincidences, I'd definitely have them check their work on the heated washer fluid delete.

Second, I agree w/ ousig2408 re: new battery. My OEM battery in the 2007 lasted about two years.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you are missing a ground . I have a 2005 Cobalt LS . Had trouble with the remote not working and an engine miss. I added a ground from the Trans . control Mod. to ground . I know this sounds weird . But it worked . I now have 200988 miles on my Cobalt. Great Car .
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

mine is doing the same. i changed the battery and alternator. seems good so far. i have a suburban ltz 2008