Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Activate Video AUX

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2007, 5:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Activate Video AUX

I have a question that i hope that some of the experianced folks on this forum can help me with.

I already have swaped my single disk radio for a Nav unit with dvd playback. Got it unlocked and activated the rear camera input. Everything works great. I made the connector that allows me to connect my aftermarket DVD flipdown screen to the Video/Audio input to the factory screen. I can put in a DVD in the flipdown and play it andset it up by looking at the factory screen (while in park for safety sake)and hear it by pressing the AUX button on the screen.Dont have to use the FM Modulator anymore. I did have it connected the other way around so i could do everything by the head unit itself, but then I would be stuck with just FM and AM.

My Father law just bought a new Yukon, with just NAV, no rear entertainment. There is a empty box where AUX should be if it was a NAV unit with DVD playback. Is there anyway possible to maybe trick the unit into thinking its a NAV with DVD? Now I know that it does not have a physical DVD drive for movie playback in the unit, but I thinking maybe you can select it in the Tech2 so it could activate that Audio/Video input. I know that you can use lockpick but this could help out alot of people out there who dont want to use a FM modulator.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Activate Video AUX

There is already an AUX input on the front of the NAV screen. There ismost likelyan easy way to set that up to work. I'm not sure because in my car I can select between the AUX input of the front of the nav screen and the input in the back of the center console. It might be prewired already for the inputs, i'm not really sure though.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your response. i know that you could just have a wire that plugs inthe jackin front of the radio,but its seems to clutter up the dash And I've personally and my father in law had bad luck with FM Modulars in the past. I don't think that it is prewired for the rear Aux jacks. I know mine wasn't. Im sure that you would have to buy the wiring harness or custom make your own.JP customs sold me the plug and i bought the pins at Radioshack and made my ownharness. Buthe would liketo be able to have the AUX Video/Audio input like mine. I was wonderingifanyone has tried it orknow if its possible totrickit into thinking its a DVD Nav unit. The bad thing with the Lockpickis that even though it will show video, it doesn't allow a audio connection to it, or at least i dont think it does. It would be cool if some one could try it. Thanks again
Old September 23rd, 2007, 2:06 AM
CF Beginner

I'm waiting for an lockpick from coastal tech. Their customer service is really bad though, and I've been trying to get in contect with them for the last two weeks to get it shipped. You're better off buying one from someone on ebay. back to my point, depending on the model, they have either 1 or 2 audio/video inputs so for the 250 or so, that may be the best way to go. I agree that modulators are cheap and crappy.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: zipperman19

I'm waiting for an lockpick from coastal tech. Their customer service is really bad though, and I've been trying to get in contect with them for the last two weeks to get it shipped. You're better off buying one from someone on ebay. back to my point, depending on the model, they have either 1 or 2 audio/video inputs so for the 250 or so, that may be the best way to go. I agree that modulators are cheap and crappy.
I just bought a GMX320 and iPod Lockpick from Costal directly and had it in a week. I don't know if your experience or mine is more common, but clearly not everyone has problems.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

That's the same combination kit i bought. I'm not saying anything bad about them. It just if your order goes through their system okay, then there is no problem. It's just when things don't go through properly it's very hard to get in touch with them to correct the situation. The phone number they give you, isn't that of their office. It's somewhere else and they give the business office the message and they call you back. I think their business office may be a home office or something though, because whenever they do call me back it's from a restricted number. I searched their name and it seems quite a few people on the prius forums and such have had some difficulty with them. Their products are great and work well, it's just their not the easiest company to deal with.
Old September 24th, 2007, 1:57 AM
CF Beginner

Good news! (for me atleast). I just got an e-mail from coastal tech clearing this issue up finally. It took some time, but in the end it worked out as I suspected.