Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Add Trans Temp or swap IPC '06 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2012, 4:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Add Trans Temp or swap IPC '06 Suburban

I would like to add a OEM Trans Temp gauge to my '06 Suburban as I do quite alot of towing and I would like to be able to monitor the trans temp. I know accuracy of an OEM gauge may be debateable but I would much rather swap the IPC or send it somewhere to be rebuilt (replace noisy motors) and have the Trans Temp gauge added at that time.

I have read that the Escalades and 2500 trucks and Suburbans came with this gauge. Is it possible to swap the IPC from one of those? Does it need to be reprogrammed? I think some DIC functions were removed in '05 or '06 so do I need a IPC from the same year? Does anyone know a P/N of a compatible unit? Is mileage stored in the IPC or the vehicle?

I'm going to check with some places that claim to be able to rebuild these or sell refurbs and see if they know but any advice from the experienced members here sure would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay it. I believe the mileage will be different, but if they are rebuilt, I'm not sure if they can actually change the mileage on the rebuilt ones or not. You're looking at about $400 for an Escalade version. I believe 03-06 would work.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Add Trans Temp to a 1500 Suburban, Escalade Style

Well I am the proud owner of a new IPC with a trans temp gauge. I contacted Carl at fixmygauges dot com and he was able to do exactly what I wanted. I purchased a rebuilt IPC from an '06 Escalade to replace the stock IPC in my 1500 Suburban that had no trans temp gauge. It came programmed to work with my VIN and had the exact mileage and engine hours programmed to match my old IPC so it is accurate and works great. It looks slick too. My 'burb is a LTZ which makes it as close to a Yukon XL Denali or Escalade ESV as a Suburban can get. I am not wishing I had an Escalade, I have kids who test how to destroy vehicles and tow alot and don't need power running boards, self folding seats and all that jazz but the new IPC does look good in the 'burb! $307 for the rebuilt part with USPS Priority shipping, plus you pay return shipping. When switching from non-Escalade to Escalade, the price for pre-'06 may be higher, I guess less supply of those even though the '06 was only made for a single year. Notice the parking indicator is different for '06 only. This is when it starts to pay off using someone who specializes in this stuff and not a junk yard in Podunk. Receiving the wrong think would really have ruined my day.

Before

What have I done!?

After:

I think this is called Escalade Platinum Black. You can get an aftermarket that looks "similar" to black OEM, you can also get white background, I think those were in some SS trucks, not sure because I didn't want white. I did make sure to specify OEM, not the "similar" looking black one. You can also get different color needles but I wanted the OEM look. I think red may look sweet with this cluster but I'll never know and I'm quite pleased. The only downside, as you can see above is the very top of the chrome ring around the speedo appears clipped off by the top of the shroud that installs around the IPC. I may correct this with a Dremel but honestly, while driving, it is not really noticeable and does not detract from the appearance, it just looks noticeable in the photo. Also, rebuilt means new motors for all the gauges and new bulbs. Also you can clearly see the DIC display is brighter on the new IPC. I also had one or more noisy motors so this actually did three things for me; quieted the IPC due to noisy motor(s), brighter DIC and most importantly, added trans temp. I love it! With the Priority shipping, I left the 'burb parked and had the new part a few days later so the mileage really is correct. I did not drive it an inch without an odometer. You can save some money and pre ship your old IPC first instead of cross-shipping but I had towing planned and didn't want more than a few days down-time.

The job was easy, pull the shroud (easy squeasy and I have done it many times on my '96 and the '06, the process is the same), four screws and one big electrical connector on the back of the IPC, simple!

Now about the CEL/MIL. That is thanks to my oily K&N causing a MAF code. It is fresh out of the box so I did not over-oil the filter. In fact, I just cleaned the MAF and got another code :-( I'm still not sure what to do about this. I checked everything they say to check and still get the code but only when towing and only with the K&N FIPK installed, not with the OEM airbox / filter. Maybe I shoulda' got one of the cold air kits with a dry filter.