Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Adding Camera to o7 Suburban w/Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Camera to o7 Suburban w/Factory Nav

I am a new member and see that this topic has been discused a few times but i did not see where any had actually finished the install. I would like to add the OEM camera to my O7 suburban. I have the ltz package but it does not have the camera. I looked under the seat and do not see the module that is said to be there. I had also planned on adding the lockpick and the ipod module and possibly the bluetooth adapter also but now i am considering just adding an aftermarket system that incorporates everything (Kenwood Dnx8120). Having said that i would alos like to know if I can still use the OEM cam withe the aftermarket system. I know the simple anwer to the sfter market HU is to get an aftermarket camera but i like the look of hte OEM one.

All help and advise would be greatly apreciated.

Thanx
Old July 5th, 2008, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Adding Camera to o7 Suburban w/Factory Nav

Radio needs to bereprogramed by the dealer. It needs to get the backup camera software, in order for the radio to turn on the back up cam feature. You also need the backup cam feature available for the ipod/video input. If you use the factory cam then you need the module under the seat, that module is the reverse image generator.
If you go with aftermarket camera just order one that is revese image already. you can even get one with infrared to see in the dark.
I personally like the factory look headunit only to keep people from 5 finger discounting your items. You can ad the camera (aftermaket) and still make it look factory.
Old July 6th, 2008, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thanx for the info. Have you completed this upgrade because i was curios about the best place to route the wires. Does anyone make a camera that looks like the OEM one?
Old July 7th, 2008, 9:41 PM
CF Active Member

I have done a lot of these upgrades both with the GM parts and aftermarket parts. I think kenwood makes a fatocy gm mount reverse cam. I am not sure, but you can make brackets and bezels for the factory look.
Old July 8th, 2008, 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have read a few othe post and ,to go back to your first reply, i read the the oem cam comes reversed already and that the camera module is a 12v to 6v converter. If that is true then i should not need the module and i can just wire in a radio shack converter. Have you seen this as well?

Old August 11th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

I am a new member also and have an 07 Suburban LTZ with factory NAV and DVD and all the toys except the rear view camera. Wondering if anyone knows the part#s for the wiring harness that is needed and how much work is involved.I have a part #15173619 for the camera and #10371724 for the module,are these correct? Has anyone installedthe wiring harness and how hard that might have been? Thanks Al
Old August 14th, 2008, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

I am also a new member with the same question, ( installing oem camera when truck already has factory nav),have you heard from anyone reguarding this?Thanks Al