Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Adding Factory Integrate Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2020, 9:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding Factory Integrate Trailer Brake Controller

Hi - has anyone successfully added an OEM integrated trailer brake controller to a current generation (2015 or later) Suburban? I have a 2018 Suburban Premier with the "regular" towing package not the max trailer package. So the integrated brake controller was not included. The dealer told me the factory controller could not be added because I did not have the JL1 option. The JL1 option is the integrated trailer brake controller. So of course I don't have it. That's why I want to add it. I've red it is possible to install the controller and then re-boot the computer so the truck recognizes the controller. Anyone have any luck with this? Thanks
Old October 6th, 2020, 8:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

can't be done...you must install an aftermarket controller.
the factory oem controller is configured on a bus network to interact with the abs and stability control systems. it can't be added to the network. gm has issued service bulletins to inform dealers this is the case. if you try to do it and mess up the bus...at min you has the mil light and worse case you bring down the bus and brick the truck.
Old October 6th, 2020, 9:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
can't be done...you must install an aftermarket controller.
the factory oem controller is configured on a bus network to interact with the abs and stability control systems. it can't be added to the network. gm has issued service bulletins to inform dealers this is the case. if you try to do it and mess up the bus...at min you has the mil light and worse case you bring down the bus and brick the truck.
Thank you. I thought that might be the answer. Seems crazy that GM would not configure the bus such that the integrated brake controller could be added afterwards.
Old October 6th, 2020, 1:49 PM
Super Moderator

to bad cause the oem controller has integrated sway control.
Old October 6th, 2020, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
to bad cause the oem controller has integrated sway control.
That is exactly the reason I wanted to add the OEM one.
Old June 26th, 2021, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trailer brake control

Originally Posted by Jason PM
Thank you. I thought that might be the answer. Seems crazy that GM would not configure the bus such that the integrated brake controller could be added afterwards.
thats crazy why would gm do that......i like the factory look versus some box bolted to under my dash.....thank god i found the answer here i was about to make my own pigtail and wire the factory one...i would have screwed things up for sure!!!
Old June 26th, 2021, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

always best to check with the dealer....later models may have the option. Its an easy way for gm to make money selling the controller and programming vs an aftermarket company getting paid.
Old June 26th, 2021, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

What’s crazier is the factory wiring for the controller is behind the panel. I pulled it off and found the factory connector for the integrated brake controller. I was told even though the connection is there, it won’t work because the module is not in the truck. I bought a Tekonsha P3. Works great. Still not happy the OEM cannot be added to $75k truck though.
The following users liked this post:
FXDWG2002 (February 17th, 2022)
Old June 27th, 2021, 9:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

We just purchased a loaded 2011 Yukon XL Denali. Had everything EXCEPT the integrated brake controller, for which there are like 5 pages devoted in the owner's manual. That's GM !!!!

We had a trailer place 2 miles away install one, took like 1 hour.
Old June 28th, 2021, 2:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason PM
What’s crazier is the factory wiring for the controller is behind the panel. I pulled it off and found the factory connector for the integrated brake controller. I was told even though the connection is there, it won’t work because the module is not in the truck. I bought a Tekonsha P3. Works great. Still not happy the OEM cannot be added to $75k truck though.

have you tried to add anyother option to your truck?i have about 90 percent of the parking assist parts collected,still not sure if the module wiring is behind the rear seat and i cant locate the harnees that goes from the module to the rear led light.

Quick Reply: Adding Factory Integrate Trailer Brake Controller