Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Advice and opinions on Suburban vs. Yukon XL vs. Yukon Xl Denali

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2022, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice and opinions on Suburban vs. Yukon XL vs. Yukon Xl Denali

I have been doing a lot of research on 2010 - 2014 Chevy Suburbans, GMC Yukon XLs and Yukon XL Denalis. I have learned to tow what I have been towing with my 2003 suburban I'll need to specify a 3.42 rear axle ratio and get the Trailering package, heavy duty (basically the engine oil and transmission coolers).

I basically use my Suburban as a 4WD pickup with a topper and easy access to the back that can tow up to about 8,000# (not long distances and not often at all, usually more around 3-4,000#). If it had no back seats I wouldn't care. It does not have to be fancy, I'd like AC, a radio, cruise control, the basics. I also tend to drive my vehicles until they are not worth anything, so I am looking for something that will be end of life in 10 years and I'd like to start with as little rust as possible to help that happen (yes, I've been scouring inland TX and the Southwest for units.)

My questions for the auto experts here:

1) If you were looking at these 3 vehicles would you pick one over the other for any reasons?
2) Would you prioritize mileage over year, or year over mileage?
3) What would you expect the lifetime of one of these vehicles to be?
4) Is there some reason that the used Yukon XL Denalis trend a little less $ compared to fairly equally equipped Yukon XLs (or refute this notion.)?
5) Are there any good places to pick up reliable 2500s? They really gouge you at the dealerships as I think they are rare in the general population.
6) Any other advice you would give me about these specific units (engine, suspension, braking, absolute must options (other than what I have already mentioned.)

Thanks in advance for your kind submissions. I have always read here, but never posted. I know I'll get great feedback on this site.

Thanks,
Old June 15th, 2022, 9:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Paul - Mrs. Cusser had a 1994 Suburban 2WD with 5.7 engine (purchased in 2000) that Mrs. Cusser used to tow a horse trailer with 2 horses, and in 2010 chose a 2005 Yukon XL Denali because it was 6.0 engine and AWD, at the suggestion of the mechanic I use twice a year. That towed way better than the 1994 or 1988 Suburbans she'd had before.

May 2021 we decided to replace Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon XL Denali pretty much because it was approaching 240K miles, which concerned her. We were looking for something about 2010 - 2014, and found Yukons and Suburbans by then had 5.3 engines which GM "claimed" were more powerful than the earlier 5.7 engines, but I didn't really believe that. Anyway, the Yukon Denalis by then had a 6.2 liter engine, and I wasn't going to get her a vehicle that was underpowered while towing, and then having to move to more power. So in May 2021 we got a 2011 Yukon XL Denali which was in pretty much pristine shape and 73K miles, cost $26K (but we all know what brand-new costs !!!).

We're in Arizona, and here used SUVs tend to sell for less than comparable pickup trucks, plus she likes the additional space.

Originally Posted by Paul Gormley
I have been doing a lot of research on 2010 - 2014 Chevy Suburbans, GMC Yukon XLs and Yukon XL Denalis. I have learned to tow what I have been towing with my 2003 suburban I'll need to specify a 3.42 rear axle ratio and get the Trailering package, heavy duty (basically the engine oil and transmission coolers).

I basically use my Suburban as a 4WD pickup with a topper and easy access to the back that can tow up to about 8,000# (not long distances and not often at all, usually more around 3-4,000#). If it had no back seats I wouldn't care. It does not have to be fancy, I'd like AC, a radio, cruise control, the basics. I also tend to drive my vehicles until they are not worth anything, so I am looking for something that will be end of life in 10 years and I'd like to start with as little rust as possible to help that happen (yes, I've been scouring inland TX and the Southwest for units.)

My questions for the auto experts here:

1) If you were looking at these 3 vehicles would you pick one over the other for any reasons?
YUKON DENALI BECAUSE OF LARGER ENGINE. WE'VE NOT HAD ANY AFM ISSUES LIKE MANY 2021 MODELS HAVE HAD.

2) Would you prioritize mileage over year, or year over mileage?
MILES

3) What would you expect the lifetime of one of these vehicles to be?
WELL, IN ARIZONA WE DON'T GET RUST. OUR 2011 HAS A LITTLE SURFACE RUST UNDERNEATH, BUT MECHANIC INSPECTION SAID "FINE".

4) Is there some reason that the used Yukon XL Denalis trend a little less $ compared to fairly equally equipped Yukon XLs (or refute this notion.)?
ONLY DIFFERENCE IS 20" ADDITION SPACE, MAYBE WOMEN FIND IT EASIER TO PARK.

5) Are there any good places to pick up reliable 2500s? They really gouge you at the dealerships as I think they are rare in the general population.
THESE ARE RARER

6) Any other advice you would give me about these specific units (engine, suspension, braking, absolute must options (other than what I have already mentioned.)
WE DID NOT UPGRADE ANYTHING ON OURS TO TOW EXCEPT ADD A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER. NEVER GETS HOT IN THE ARIZONA SUMMER EITHER, THAT GOES FOR OUR 2011, 2005, AND 1994 AS WELL.

Thanks in advance for your kind submissions. I have always read here, but never posted. I know I'll get great feedback on this site.

Thanks,
Old June 15th, 2022, 12:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

'11's and '12's had most of the bugs in them worked out. Go by mileage in those years. Most are 1500, not a lot of 2500 so dealers charge more as they only folks looking for a 2500 need a heavier rated tow vehicle.
My '11 Tahoe short has the 7300# factory tow package.
Look up RPO codes and print it out so you can read what a truck has. RPO codes are on a label in the glove box when shopping. That tells what it was built with and every option, rear diff, tow package, etc.
Old June 15th, 2022, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that was GREAT advice.