Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Afm deactivation

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2016, 3:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
Thanks for the heads up about the shifting issue, I haven't noticed anything abnormal, but I do not drive our Tahoe often, its my wife's vehicle. Did you ever report the hard shifting issue to the Range folks? Was your range device the latest version? I'm about to take the Tahoe on a trip to visit my folks, about a 3 hour drive one way. I didn't tell my wife I installed it, and she was wondering what the lights were for, lol.
I did report it but it's my belief that I may hit the device getting in at some point and it was no longer seated properly. You should be fine and hopefully your consumption will decrease?
Old March 19th, 2016, 4:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Am I understanding correctly that I can have a tuner program out my AFM feature?

I have taken apart my engine and it seems that the lifter is the only thing that failed. The Cam is fine and the rest of the lifters look fantastic. I assume that if my car never goes into V4 mode the spring shouldn't compress anymore and this shouldn't happen anymore, right? Good theory?

Old March 20th, 2016, 12:48 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Davpmars
Am I understanding correctly that I can have a tuner program out my AFM feature?

I have taken apart my engine and it seems that the lifter is the only thing that failed. The Cam is fine and the rest of the lifters look fantastic. I assume that if my car never goes into V4 mode the spring shouldn't compress anymore and this shouldn't happen anymore, right? Good theory?

To answer your question simply ask yourself this question, what controls the oil pressure and causes that lifter to compress the spring, the ECM is the correct answer.

If you can crack into the ECM and disable the AFM the lifter will no longer compress and by that very action shutdown the affected cylinder. Once that's done, the lifters in essence act like any other lifter.

Replace the bad one or all of them and find someone to disable the AFM and you probably won't have many other issues with that motor.... That would be the way I'd go.
Old March 21st, 2016, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by magician
To answer your question simply ask yourself this question, what controls the oil pressure and causes that lifter to compress the spring, the ECM is the correct answer.

If you can crack into the ECM and disable the AFM the lifter will no longer compress and by that very action shutdown the affected cylinder. Once that's done, the lifters in essence act like any other lifter.

Replace the bad one or all of them and find someone to disable the AFM and you probably won't have many other issues with that motor.... That would be the way I'd go.
Well, I found this guy with a couple google searches and I called him. He seems legit and the theories he has on his website seem sound and make good sense. I'm sending off my ECM this morning.

http://lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm
Old March 22nd, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to point you to a guy for the afm reprogram..but I see you found one already.
Old March 29th, 2016, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Update

Just wanted to let you guys know that I pulled of my head and replaced the lifters on my left bank.

I also replaced the Valve Lifter Oil Manifold and I sent in my ECM to have the AFM deleted. So far everything is working well and the car never enters V4 mode.

Crossing my fingers hoping this is a good long term fix.

Old March 29th, 2016, 9:08 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Davpmars thanks for the follow up and picture...
A couple of questions, did you reuse gaskets, if not where you able to locate a "kit" of gaskets or just buy them individually.
Also what are the red hoses for in the picture, flushing or do you have a setup for something else ?
Old February 17th, 2019, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Can find a place here near by in So Cal to Disable V4 mode on my 5.3.. I've already replaced all my lifters and now i just need the AFM disabled. Can i use a snap-on solus scanner ?
Old February 17th, 2019, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Check out a unit called Range which plugs into your OBD2 port and disables the AFM.
Old February 9th, 2021, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default AFM Disabler question

I received my new AFM disabler for my 2011 Chev Silverado 1500 yesterday. I plugged in last night and drove it to work this morning at 6:45 am. It was dark outside, however, I saw no light from AFM disabler. Can someone help me with this please? Is there should be light on all the time? How do I know if it's working and I'm driving on all 8 cyls? Any help will be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Afm deactivation