Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Afm deactivation

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2016, 10:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afm deactivation

Have any of you had any luck getting rid of their active fuel management?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-09-0026/none/images
Old March 15th, 2016, 8:20 AM
CF Active Member

Turned mine off with HP Tuner software. Anyone that knows how to use a Tech II can do it for you also.
Old March 15th, 2016, 8:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A few of us on here are using this:

v8 ? Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs

I just changed my oil last week and installed this after the oil change. Without this device, I usually get about ~3000-3100 miles before I get the "OIL LOW" message in the DIC. So my 07 Tahoe burns about 1.00 to 1.25 qts per ~3000-3100 miles. I'll report back once the "OIL LOW" message shows up this time. From what a couple of members here say, it has pretty much eliminated their oil consumption.
Old March 16th, 2016, 8:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by magician
Turned mine off with HP Tuner software. Anyone that knows how to use a Tech II can do it for you also.
Can you give me more info on the software that you used?
Old March 16th, 2016, 1:46 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Davpmars
Can you give me more info on the software that you used?
HP Tuner is company that provides software and other support for those who want to crack the ECM of a vehicle for the purposes of custom tuning. Racers and others that want to change how the vehicle performs are the most common users. Rim size, air/fuel ratio's, timing curves and line pressure on the transmission are some of the things that can be data logged and modified. It costs roughly $100 per vehicle to gain access to each ECM.

A friend of mine has the program and uses it on his race cars and volunteered to try and maximize the performance on my truck, for a hundred bucks. I've had shift points, timing curves, line pressure, idle rpm and at one point used it to maximize the AFM when the truck was doing a lot of cross country trips to get better mileage.

My Tahoe is what I would call moderately custom tuned and for the better in my opinion. I don't have oil consumption problems and the aftermarket parts added to the Tahoe have been maximized in the tuning process.

Hope this helps some.
Old March 16th, 2016, 6:32 PM
CF Senior Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread. But if AFM is disabled, does it mean that lifters won't collapse in these engines? Or maybe disabling AFM will minimize the chance of lifter collapse?
Old March 17th, 2016, 8:43 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Typerod
I don't mean to hijack this thread. But if AFM is disabled, does it mean that lifters won't collapse in these engines? Or maybe disabling AFM will minimize the chance of lifter collapse?
If the lifter is going to fail it really isn't going to matter whether AFM is functioning or not. Having said that, a weak link in the cylinder deactivation system is the lifters, they are a known high fail part, especially in the 07's. If AFM is disabled it makes sense that less wear on the lifters COULD reduce the chance but I wouldn't count on it and I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

I turned mine off for a number of reasons but lifter life wasn't one of them.
Old March 17th, 2016, 8:49 AM
CF Senior Member

If the lifter is going to fail it really isn't going to matter whether AFM is functioning or not. Having said that, a weak link in the cylinder deactivation system is the lifters, they are a known high fail part, especially in the 07's. If AFM is disabled it makes sense that less wear on the lifters COULD reduce the chance but I wouldn't count on it and I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

I turned mine off for a number of reasons but lifter life wasn't one of them.
Thanks for your reply. I have ~206K on my 07 Tahoe with no issues with lifters. *fingers crossed* I do have a lifter tick on cold start up that kinda dies away once engine is warm. I just installed my Range Technology AFM disable device, I'm hoping it will eliminate my oil burning.
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Active Member

I turned mine off with the Range device for about 6 months before I had my friend disable it the with the tuner software. The device killed my battery once when it was parked for an extended time and I had a hard shifting issue that stopped when I shut off and removed it.
My tahoe currently has 229K and doesn't consume a drop in between oil changes(every 5K miles). Good luck with the range device.

BTW, the blue LEDs on the range device drove me nuts when it was dark so I taped over them.. I dont think I could ever get used to blue lights between my legs?
Old March 18th, 2016, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

I turned mine off with the Range device for about 6 months before I had my friend disable it the with the tuner software. The device killed my battery once when it was parked for an extended time and I had a hard shifting issue that stopped when I shut off and removed it.
My tahoe currently has 229K and doesn't consume a drop in between oil changes(every 5K miles). Good luck with the range device.

BTW, the blue LEDs on the range device drove me nuts when it was dark so I taped over them.. I dont think I could ever get used to blue lights between my legs?
Thanks for the heads up about the shifting issue, I haven't noticed anything abnormal, but I do not drive our Tahoe often, its my wife's vehicle. Did you ever report the hard shifting issue to the Range folks? Was your range device the latest version? I'm about to take the Tahoe on a trip to visit my folks, about a 3 hour drive one way. I didn't tell my wife I installed it, and she was wondering what the lights were for, lol.

Quick Reply: Afm deactivation