Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Amsoil Oil Filter out for 07 Hoe

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 1:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Oil Filter out for 07 Hoe

Just a heads up. I've been watching forever for Amsoil to release the filter for the 07 Hoes. It's finally on their website. It's EAO47, and it's $17.65 preffered customer pricing. It's good for one year. I ordered on Tuesday and received it yesterday. I did the oil change yesterday and put in their 0W30 performance oil. I feel much better knowing there is good oil in there now. The oil is rated for 1yr or 35k, whatever comes first. [/align][/align]Total Price: $17.65 for filter, $44.84 for 6qrts oil = $62.50 + S&H ($8.90 for me including some gas treatment for my truck)[/align][/align]So for one full year of oil, I think thats a steal. Some people may not trust the oil for a year, but it's been good for me so far in my other trucks. Much cheaper than doing dino oil changes every 3k or so. It's also supposed to increase gas mileage due to less startup friction, but I've never seen much in the past. I reset the computer, so we'll see what happens.[/align][/align]Just a heads up incase any of you guys want to go to synthetic. [/align]
Old April 27th, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Amsoil Oil Filter out for 07 Hoe

Amsoil makes good products however; I would strongly caution against the use of 0W30 oil in your Tahoe unless ambient outside temperatures are regularly -20 or below. I would also not recommend extending an oil change beyond what the Engine Oil Life Monitor System suggests even with this oil filter and synthetic oil, in fact I would recommend cutting the oil change interval in half (change at 50%) for those of you that are using ordinary dino oil.
Old April 27th, 2007, 2:02 PM
davemec

With a full synthetic like Mobile 1, is it OK to wait till the monitor reads near 0%?
Old April 27th, 2007, 6:22 PM
CF Junior Member

ZX - I don't know enough info to disagree with you on the 0W30 issue, just what I've read in researching Amsoil. From what I understand, the 0 weightof the 0W30 just means that the oil is a bit more fluid until it reaches operating temberature, when it gets to 30 weight. Amsoil has shown many wear tests that prove this oil to be superior and offer more wear protection than most 5w30 dino and synthetic oils. Can I ask what your opinion is based on regarding the 0W20?[/align][/align]And I can understand your opinion on the life of the oil, and I can agree that I am putting too much faith in this synthetic. But, I do believe that if they are claiming this oil is good for 1yr/35k, then it should be good for at least that. There are several reports of people that just change the filter and add 1qt and are above 300k on the same oil. Seems a bit extreme to me, but their oil analysis is showing that the oil has retained all it's qualities. I haven't had my oil tested in the past 2 years, but I believe I may get it done soon because you guys are givingme doubts!! I will say that after 1yr drains, my oil comes out looking no worse than a 3k drain of dino oil. And my truck has been running great with it, as did our 2004 tahoe. BUT, my dang 6.0L burns some oil, so I do have to put a quart in every few months.[/align][/align]Just wanted to get some more input from you. You seem to have such a wealth of knowledge on everything surrounding our vehicles. [/align][/align]Ohh, and I am no way tied to Amsoil. I don't even hold a membership to the Amsoil cult. I've just been using it alot with good results and put it in everything I own. [8D][/align]
Old April 27th, 2007, 6:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Davemec - I have heard that most Mobil 1 users say they normally do 5k changes. I'm not sure exactly what our gauge reads out to, but if Chevy states that it is good for dino oil, it should be better with the Mobil1. I'd just make sure you are using a good quality filter. AC Delco's are pretty good from what I've read, with Fram near the bottom. If you can get WIX filters nearby, they are rated pretty high.
Old April 27th, 2007, 7:13 PM
SNO
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: freyguy
Amsoil has shown many wear tests that prove this oil to be superior and offer more wear protection than most 5w30 dino and synthetic oils.
GM specifies a 5W-30 oil that meets their corporate specification (GM6094M) AND it must also carry the API certification "starburst". Regardless of what their propaganda states, Amsoil 0W-30 does not meet those requirements. Are you really willing to risk your 100,000 mile warranty to save a couple of dollars on oil changes?
Old April 28th, 2007, 1:53 PM
davemec

ORIGINAL: freyguy

Davemec - I have heard that most Mobil 1 users say they normally do 5k changes. I'm not sure exactly what our gauge reads out to, but if Chevy states that it is good for dino oil, it should be better with the Mobil1. I'd just make sure you are using a good quality filter. AC Delco's are pretty good from what I've read, with Fram near the bottom. If you can get WIX filters nearby, they are rated pretty high.
Thanks for the info. My dealer recommended 6k miles (twice that of the regular change), but I haven't been running with synthetic that long yet. I'll probably get it done at 6k and asked them how it looked, then decide from there what to do in the future.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM
CF Junior Member

SNO - I find it hard to believe that AMSOIL can claim to meet all specs and be API certified, but not actually be. Seems to far fetched for me.[/align][/align]And as far as saving money, thats not my concern. My goal is to provide my engine with the best possible oil out there. I think we call all agree that it isn't dyno oil anymore. Although GM might tell you that. But, they are in the business of selling autos.[/align]
Old May 4th, 2007, 4:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SNO is correct in that "Your vehicle's engine requires oil meeting GM Standard GM6094M. Look for and use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M."

Amsoil products do not meet the GM6094M standard, that is to say that Amsoil has not submitted their synthetic oil for testing to GM, it very well could pass but you never know.

Mobil-1 has been tested thoroughly and is highly recommended, if you are using a quality synthetic motor oil and filter then just follow the Engine Life Monitor otherwise you are wasting money, if you use regular oil then change the oil and filter when your monitor reads 50% or 4,000 miles for those with older Tahoe's that do not a display of remaining oil life. AC Delco makes a great quality oil filter as do most companies, avoid Fram. Oil contamination is not normally an issue with these engines and wasting money on an expensive $10 oil filter is not always the best way to go. Mobil-1, an AC Delco filter, follow your monitor and you can't go wrong.
Old May 5th, 2007, 4:37 AM
SNO
CF Beginner

freyguy-
The problem with Amsoil lies in their claim that their products "meet or exceed" certain standards. But, as ZX mentioned, they don't always submit their products for certification of those standards.

You can see the list of all three Amsoil products that are API certified at the API Website. Note that 0w-30 is not on that list.

Also, on a less technical note. I think Amsoil's use of a starburst-like symbol on their packaging is meant to confuse people and make them think it's the API certification mark. Nothing but marketing at it's best (or worst).