Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ANy INFO ON THE MSD COILS for the TAHOE

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANy INFO ON THE MSD COILS for the TAHOE

I noticed that MSD has come out with some new coils for the LS engines. Does anyone know anything about changing out the ones you have and if they will make a difference.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ANy INFO ON THE MSD COILS for the TAHOE

Do not use the MSD MSC Kit for GM GEN III LS-1/LS-6 Engines on your new 2007 Tahoe.
One of the enhancements to the Gen-IV engines (found in 07 Tahoe’s) is a more efficient and powerful coil pack and I’ll wager a bet that these new MSD coils are built around a similar design as the current OEM GEN-IV coil paks.
It is very unlikely that a person would notice any difference in performance or economy if they installed the MSD coils on an older stock GEN-III engine either because the new coil-near-plug design is so vastly superior to the previous cap and rotor ignition systems it leaves much less room to improve upon.
Aftermarket performance parts companies (like MSD) are forced to introduce products such as these MSC coil pack kits in order to remain in business; however as the market shifts to more high-tech it is becoming increasingly difficult for them to develop products that impact performance the way their products did when we were kids.
With all that said I’m sure that we’ll hear from somebody that installed these coils on their Tahoe and now gets 40 MPG and pushes 400 HP.
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ZX,
Appreciate the info. I was just curious about the product. Your right I am sure someone will try it and tell about the gains they get. ZX do you know much about the DURAMAX, I am thinking of getting an 08 2500HD CREW CAB. Any extra bells and whistles I should get. I wish they had the CAMARO out, that would be nice.
Old December 18th, 2007, 2:02 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know quite a bit about the Duramax, which package are you considering?