Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

anyone verify the message center reset procedure for oil?

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2009, 7:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone verify the message center reset procedure for oil?

I searched the forum and found this thread for the message center "oil change" light reset...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...e+center+reset

Problem is, after reading it, looks like there is more than one method which I doubt is correct. Can someone clarify the exact procedure to reset this light??????

this is for a 2001 suburban.

Last edited by 94burbin; August 4th, 2009 at 7:46 AM.
Old August 4th, 2009, 2:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

GM Oil Life System Resetting
The engine oil life monitor will indicate when to change the engine oil - usually between 5,000 km (3,000 mi) and 16,000 km (10,000 mi) since the last oil change. Under severe conditions, the CHANGE OIL SOON light may be displayed before 5,000 km (3,000 mi). The vehicle must not be driven more than 16,000 km (10,000 mi) or 12 months without an oil change.
The engine oil life monitor will not detect dust in the oil. If the vehicle is driven in a dusty area, be sure to change the oil every 5,000 km (3,000 mi) or sooner if the CHANGE OIL SOON light is displayed.
Reset the oil life monitor when the oil has been changed. Use the following procedure:
  1. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
  2. Fully push and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds.
  3. If the Change Oil Soon light flashes, the system is resetting.
  4. Turn the key to OFF.
  5. Start the vehicle.
  6. The oil life will change to 100%.
  7. If the Change Oil Soon light comes back on, the system has not reset.Repeat the procedure.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 94burbin
I searched the forum and found this thread for the message center "oil change" light reset...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...e+center+reset

Problem is, after reading it, looks like there is more than one method which I doubt is correct. Can someone clarify the exact procedure to reset this light??????

this is for a 2001 suburban.
Hello every one well i had the issue this weekend were my change engine oil light came up even after i did the oil change.
i follow the instruction from the person below us and it work, i didn't think it was going to work cause it only took me like 10x to get it right. so yes it works just fine.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the adivece it worked fine.
Old August 5th, 2009, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found your answer here.
Old October 4th, 2010, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

worked the first time like a charm! Thanks guys for all your help!
Old December 9th, 2012, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Suburban and I tried both the accelerator pedal trick and holding the reset button in per procedure and neither worked. It did work last oil change, but not this time. Any suggestions?
Old December 9th, 2012, 2:11 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

All I can offer is to just be sure you are following the procedure to the letter. Computers are very literal.
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rogerd7654,

1. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, the vehicle must be in P (Park) to access this display.

2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if the vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

OR

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with the engine off.

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.

3. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC. If the display shows 100%, the system is reset.

If the vehicle has a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message and it comes back on when the vehicle is started and/or the OIL LIFE REMAINING is near 0%, the engine oil life system has not been reset. Repeat the procedure.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service