Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Audio for 08 Tahoe with Portable DVD RSE

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio for 08 Tahoe with Portable DVD RSE

Hello all. My family recently purchased a low mileage 08 Tahoe with the factory RSE Portable DVD Player. We are working with the dealer to obtain the remote and headphones for this system. Is it possible to play the audio through the Factory sound system? I've not been able to make it work and we don't have the Quick Start Guide that is mentioned here: http://gmpartszone.com/Scripts/prodV...product=292498

Thanks for your help.
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Someone with more experience with the factory capabilities of the RSE (I have an aftermarket system) will hopefully provide some insight into your immediate issue...in the meantime, if it comes to be that the RSE is not factory wired to integrate into the audio system, then I would suggest an aftermarket solution such as a FM modulator. There are myriad versions available, some wired, some wireless. Two drawbacks to the modulator route - 1) if you travel any distance outside your area, it is a hassle sometimes to switch radio frequency in order to find an unoccupied freq., which sometimes is necessary every 45-60 minutes on highway (depends on density of radio stations in your area). 2) Sound quality can be "iffy" sometimes depending on make, model, type, outside interference, etc. The wireless ones are especially prone to sound quality issues due to FCC limitations on power/range. Best results are typically achieved from the units that plug in line with the antenna input on the factory radio.

I may be putting the cart before the horse on this one, and I certainly hope there is a solution already present from the factory that resolves your issue. Good luck.
Old August 5th, 2009, 2:41 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have yet to see one of these units in action so I can't say one way or the other.
It is labelled as a GM accessory, which usually means that its added after the fact(eg, headrest video).
I'm willing to bet that it will be headphones only, or as gman said, FM modulated. Put a dvd in, and use the seek button to go through all the stations to see if you pick it up
Old August 5th, 2009, 9:40 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

CJ7inBama: Welcome to the forum.

I have a factory installed RSE and as soon as I put a DVD in, the radio goes to the DVD function and I get pic and audio unless driving, then audio only thru speakers.
Old August 6th, 2009, 8:41 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the portable system is different than the regular overhead video.....the regular overheads use the radio to play the dvd, on the portable system, I would assume that the dvd player is built into the screen seeing as though it is portable. But I haven't seen one yet, so I can't say one way or the other
Old August 10th, 2009, 6:17 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice all. The dvd installs in the portable unit in the rear not in my head unit. The portable unit has built in speakers. The sound plays through these speakers until the vehicle starts. After this the sound can only be heard through wireless headphones. There doesn't appear to be a built in FM modulator; I've scanned through the FM band and have not found the audio.