Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

auto ride compressor conversion

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2020, 1:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto ride compressor conversion

I am installing a conversion shock kit and 3" lift on 2007 suburban LTZ. I am also installing air bags inside rear coil springs. I can run air line to bumper and manually add air , but am thinking I can just install a manual switch to factory air compressor. So am wondering if anyone else has done this.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

it seems do able.
just remember...the factory system uses ride height sensors to keep the system level. if you manually adjust the ride height to high or low it will effect the toe setting of the front tires. this will cause tire wear and noisy tires.
Old November 24th, 2020, 7:01 AM
CF Junior Member

I figure the shock conversion kit and the 3" lift will Negate the ride height sensors, since the new shocks are not electronic and the kit also includes bypass resistors.
I used air bags in me 66 chevelle back in 70's (for a raked look) and it never messed with front end alignment or tire wear. The only tire wear I expeirenced back then was to the rear tires, I was in High school
so I am looking to see if I can convert the factory airpump to manual operation. So I can adjust ride level myself without the ride height sensors.
Old November 24th, 2020, 3:00 PM
Super Moderator

as long as you didn't change the ride height after alignment..you would be fine. bias ply tires will wear differently than radials.

I see toe wear regularly. if you jounce or rebound the front end you can see the toe change live on the alignment machine. People are pissed when their $300 tires are wrecked. They commonly replace the shocks thinking that is the cause of the wear pattern...they don't know how to read wear pattern.

dodge trucks has full/real air suspension system with adjustable ride height...if in off road mode...once you hit 20mph the suspension module overrides and drops tp normal ride height to not wear tires. When aligning these vehicles the suspension the ride height must be set to the correct mode.
Old November 24th, 2020, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

I have installed several lift kits on me vehicles, I have never found one that didn't change the ride height. I am not full time alignment guy, but if the lift kit not raise ride height, it wouldn't be a lift kit . As for adjusting rear the new airbags manually , It would be to level out rear if trailer load made suspension sag. I dont need a computer to do it for me , same as I dont need that dashthing telling me if a tire is low on air . I have Eyes and can notice a low tire no problemo I just want to know what it takes to convert factory air pump to manual control.
Old November 25th, 2020, 7:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Factory air pump has it's air pressure sensor built into the pump assy. At least that's how my '11 is . Only way I can see for manual control is to power the compressor motor manually with a on/off switch to the compressor motor itself. You would have to pull the pump assy. out and see how it's wired.
Old November 25th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

the compressor is controlled my a the module grounding the compressor relay(lf corner of the engine compartment near the ubec). put your switch on the light blue/white wire at the relay and grd the switch.

Last edited by tech2; November 25th, 2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old November 25th, 2020, 2:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
the compressor is controlled my a the module grounding the compressor relay(lf corner of the engine compartment near the ubec). put your switch on the light blue/white wire at the relay and grd the switch.
So I just need to connect toggle switch positive wire to the light blue/white wire at corner of engine and ground the switch. ok so which corner and what is a ubec ?
Old November 25th, 2020, 4:37 PM
Super Moderator

LF =left front
ubec=underhood bussed electrical center ie fuse box
Old November 27th, 2020, 1:27 PM
CF Junior Member

then why not say that in first place so its on drivers side under fuse box ( the big secondary fuse box) or is it is called a computer fuse box ? but thanks and I just splice in to the blue/white wire, and it should work ? COOL, now I need to figure out where I will mount switch, but I stayed at a holiday inn once, so should be able to figure that out meself Thanks

Quick Reply: auto ride compressor conversion