Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Autoride - Is it even working?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2013, 6:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoride - Is it even working?

Ok guys, I've got another autoride question for you. I've searched the forums and can't really find what I'm looking for so direct me to a thread if you know of one.

I don't think my autoride is running at all. I haven't once heard the compressor fire off and I had the thing loaded this weekend with camping gear and dogs and was a lot lower in the back. Question is, how can I be ensure it's working and if not, start to diagnose problems. I'm really good at fixing things, not so much at diagnosing them.

I've seen others check a fuse, mine doesn't have a dedicated fuse that I can see. #2 is the only one I've found, and that is the Stability Control and Exhaust as well. I haven't had a chance to check it yet, so I will start there. If it's not that, my next step is to check the compressor to see if it's getting power. Then I suppose it's off to check the sensors. Probably need assistance on how to do this.

No warning lights are flashing at all which makes me think it's not the fuse as I've seen others say there is a "check fuse" message that appears.

Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2013, 5:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't know if there is a fuse but it would make sense. look for that first, if not the compressor is probably done and you'll need a new one. i think if you remove it and hit it with a power source you'll know for sure. other problem could be if one of the air shocks had a leak and kept the compressor running which could've fried it too
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

If you weight around 200#...

Turn the engine on, open the tail gate. Sit back on the back and listen for compressor to kick on. If it doesn't shortly after you weight it down...it ain't working.

Fwiw...mine went out because the shocks had a leak. I'd be driving around with no change in load and the compressor would kick on for about 30 secs. It did that for a few months....then no more.
Old October 29th, 2013, 2:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even easier check. Grab the air bags. The system MUST have a minimum air pressure in the shocks. And, GM planned the shocks and compressor to die at the same time. Do your self a big favor. Go to Arnott, buy the Bilstein air shocks and the compressor. They have the best price for their parts too. Amazon was more! The new Bilstein shocks have a better ride and the new air bags are higher quality than the old. Now, when you recieve the compressor, DO THESE STEPS!::

1.) Get a tube of Red RTV
2.) Take end plate off the compressor (3 small hex screw)
3.) You will notice no seal what so ever, put Red RTV around the end of the compressor housing where it meats up with the end plate.
4.) Take the motor housing off, spread Red RTV on the paper gasket. Get some spray can Lubrication oil and fill the bottom of the motor housing with some oil.
5.) Have another person help you put this mess back together and get the screws tightened down, but BE CAREFUL, the star bit screws twist the heads off pretty easy!
6.) Get marine heat shrink and get 1 large piece that fits around both the + and - wire coming out of the motor. Push the piece up against the motor and heat it up hot so the glue melts and keep it pushed against the housing.

Do this and your new compressor will last. I had my BRAND NEW compressor die 1 year later and I only used it for 4 months! Why? Because I have 3 boats. That means backing into the water. Sometimes you have to back in pretty far, and the new compressors are not sealed well. My New comp got water in it and rusted up. So, I did all that by myself. It was a PITA! And messy as hell! But, because I did that the motor is sealed well. I flipped every which way to try and get oil to spill out. Didn't get any and was finally happy. Please take my advice and you will be happy.
Old October 30th, 2013, 6:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Definitely going to get the Arnott's soon. I think my bigger concern is there are no warning lights going off. Figured they would at least tell me something is wrong. It's not the fuse, I checked that yesterday. I also got underneath and peeked at the compressor. This was a Massachusetts truck, so its a bit corroded. I'm sure it isn't working, but I still want to make sure it's getting power before I try and replace it.

JoeinNY: do you have any pics of your water tight setup? I tow boats occasionally as well. I appreciate the advice. I'm thinking of just heat shrinking the whole box, like a boat in the winter.

You'd think that they'd make these water tight since they sit under the vehicle. Or at least not put them right behind the rear wheel that sprays water all over the place.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAH NO!!! I had a whole thing typed up and stupid microsoft win 7 decided to lock up and crash firefox! ugh! I will retype tomorrow, er, I mean later today...
Old November 7th, 2013, 6:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Oh yeah, bags completely empty. Asked the dealer before I bought it to check the autoride: "If something was wrong the warning lights would tell you" they said. Fantastic. GM 10, me 0. For those keeping score at home.