Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Autoride Suspension

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2006, 2:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoride Suspension

I like the idea of Autoride because it checks the road surface every 20-milliseconds and "varies the amount of shock damping". It's standard on the LTZ but all the other Tahoes have the "Premium Smooth Ride Suspension Package" which doesn't vary the shock damping (I guess) - or does it? Will I be able to tell the difference or should I just spring for an LTZ?

Thanks for your help, Faceman

Old October 30th, 2006, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Autoride Suspension

I have an 07 LTZ right now, I've driven the previous Suburban LS. The LTZ has a softer ride, the bumps are smoothened out, it rides like a dream. The Range Rover emphasizes its soft and luxurious ride due to its air ride suspension. I really like the suspension, also keep in mind that you get way more than just the air ride suspension you have all the extra goodies an LTZ comes with, heated second row, power tail gate, monochromatic mirrors, etc.

The air ride suspension is what you will also find the in bigger brother of the Tahoe, the Escalade! LTZ=ultra luxury!

A
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:23 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It really is personal preference; an LT3 Pkg Tahoe can be equipped with all the same features and options offered on the LTZ with the exception of the chrome ornaments now being shipped on the “LTZ Plus pkg ” Tahoe’s and Autoride.

Another note is that GM heavily markets the rear air-assist self leveling capability of Autoride but the standard premium smooth ride rear suspension also has load leveling capability using hydraulic valving within the rear shocks to adjust ride height as you drive.

The new suspensions on these Tahoe’s ride so nicely for 07 that most people notice very little difference between the two suspensions during normal use however, if you drive aggressively or work your truck hard then the Autoride provides and extra margin of performance and comfort.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

I've had my LTZ for four months. I didn't buy the LTZ for the Autoride - my particular vehicle just happened to have all the features I wanted. However, after driving a loaner LT (without Autoride, of course) while mine was having some work done, I noticed a big difference. For a vehicle of this size and weight, the Autoride really does help smooth out the bumps and dips in the road. Some people may think it's a gimmick, but I'm definitely glad I went with the LTZ.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the autoride and love it. Most people make the same comment after riding in my hoe for the first time..."This rides like a Cadillac"

Jason
Old October 30th, 2006, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help, guys. Has anyone else had a chance to drive an Autoride (LTZ) and a Smooth Ride (all other Tahoes)? If you have, could you tell the difference in the ride - if any?

Faceman
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

is it possible to upgrade from premium smooth ride to autoride for an 07 lt model?
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade.

I have an 09, I wanted the LTZ since it was most likely to have the GPS... I like the z71s fender flares though. I like the way the LTZ rides and I like the tow/haul mode, it feels like the suspension stiffens on the LTZ in tow/haul. I don't know if it does or if the non LTZ ones do... it does ride nice and couch like... which is what I want for long trips...