Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Aux video input without RSE

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux video input without RSE

hello, new member but ive been lurking for a while. have a 07 tahoe with navi, but no RSE. im looking for information about a possible aux video input. when i select the aux source i have the option for a video device or an audio device. i know the aux audio is the jack by the eject button, but where is the aux video input. im wondering if it is pre-wired for this and i just have to get the red, white, yellow input harness that is in back of the center console in RSE vehicles. gm parts direct shows an audio/video adapter. can anyone confirm if this just plugs the wires that go to the rear radio/seat heater controls. thanks
Old February 8th, 2010, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

gonna have to find out the hard way. can anyone tell me how the center console comes apart. ive been searching for a how-to, but no luck. if possible would just like to take off the back panel where the rear audio and seat heaters are, thanks
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if your navigation cant play movies in the top cd slot, then it will not be that simple. i installed a factory nav myself with dvd playbackin my 07 tahoe LT1. i also have the 2 gen lockpick. the 2 gen lockpick had video input but not audio at the time

i was able to tap in the connector in the back of mine to add the audio/video inputs and outputs using a plug i bought. now you canbuy a ready made harness with rca connectors to make things a lot easier. runs about $60.00. this should work if your nav can play dvds. you can also do a search and find how to make up your own. i posted some pics of my cable but if i had to do it all over again i would buy the ready made one. it just wasnt available back then. the one downside is that even with this cable, you cant watch movies in motion. video is locked out if the car was in gear. thats why i got the lockpick so the front seat passenger can watch movies or put in the adresses in the nav wwhile moving. now i have a panasonic flipdown screen with dvd player and every thing is connected to the factory nav so whats playing on the flipdown can play on the front screen or the kids can watch cartoons while the misses can watch something else upfront

are you sure when you press the aux button it says video jack device at the bottom of the screen and not audio jack device?

but if you have just navigation only and no dvd playback, you cant just tap into the radio without any kind of interface. the harness alone will not help you .the hardware and wiring just isnt there. however, you can buy a lockpick from www.costaletech.com that will give you a video and audio input. you will have to provide your own video source like a xbox, playtation, dvd player etc. plus has a added bouns, you can input your addresses and watch your video source when you are moving or turn on your rear camera at anytime. if you want all this then i would get the gmx322. it will have everything you need and no wire cutting. if you want to do this a little cheaper, you can get the basic lockpick with video input and connect the audio to the front jack. or you cantap into the xm radio harness if you have xm (it dont need to be activated just there)and connect a switch for the audio to switch between them. hope this helps

Last edited by rruelas; February 9th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the response.i have the nav that does not play dvds. in the back there is a spot for connector 3, but nothing is plugged into it. i tried connectors 8 and 16 with a video wire + and -, but got no picture. when under the aux setting i have the option to select audio or video input device. if i select video i then have the option for full screen. im convinced that some kind of way there is a video input available. where can i get the 60$ harness you mentioned. do you know if connector 3 is the same for nondvd and dvd headunits
ive heard the lockpick was iffy and when i called them, they were not sure if it works with the non-dvd navi.
heres a couple pics of what i mean
Attached Thumbnails Aux video input without RSE-imag0087.jpg   Aux video input without RSE-imag0088.jpg   Aux video input without RSE-imag0089.jpg  
Old February 9th, 2010, 4:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm
Scroll to the bottom and look for A/V1600 INTERFACE CABLE . You might need to connect all the pins to audio and video in order for it to show up on the screen. I will check for you later tonight by unplugging the inputs.

My lockpick has been working fine for me for over 3 years.

I another possiblity is that your nav radio accidently got the wrong software loaded up at the dealer or factory and even though it provided you a soft button to push, the hardware may not be in the radio itself to make it happen. Hopefully it will work out for you