Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AWD vs 4WD

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AWD vs 4WD

Not going to open that can of worms, I just want to compare the esky's AWD with the LTZs 4WD.

The AWD uses 3 diffs, correct, Front, Center, Rear, and is AWD all the time.

the Tahoe LTZ is RWD w/a transfer case and locking rear diff to make it 4WD.

So the Tahoe, can, put power to 3 wheels if one is not moving.

What will happen w/the AWD if one gets 'stuck' what do the diffs do? Spin the free wheel wildly or transfer power to the slower moving one? or does it brake the one spinning to fast with the traction control forcing power to the other side?
Old December 8th, 2009, 1:16 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know exactly how it works, but my 07 acts like it uses a combination of throttle, braking and transfer when it needs the traction. If I turn off the traction control, it seams more like a normal 4 high type of driving. IMO it's great for wet or dry road conditions but I miss having a low range.
Old December 8th, 2009, 2:58 PM
CF Veteran

I read in a off-road magazine about a GM AWD, I think it was a Escalade, some knid of SUV Cadillac anyway. Well they said the all wheel drive was horrible because they couldn't go in any kind of mud, as soon as a wheel would slip, the traction control would stop the spinning, and they would literally get stuck in a spot that all they need to do is add a lil throttle to pull out of it, but the vehicle wouldn't let them do that. I can't remember exactly what caused the tires to stop spinning, but a regular 4wd didn't have the problem. They said it is great for wet roads and such, but you can't go off-road, "you could literally pee in front of the tires and get stuck in grass",
Thats almost an exact quote.
Old December 8th, 2009, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Close. What they're referring to is the lack of a locking center diff. In the 4X4, when you are in "4 High" or "4 Low" VS the "auto" setting, the center differential is "locked". Combine that with a locking rear diff, and you are effectively "three wheel drive". Spinning either front or rear tires doesn't leave you stranded because the power all goes to axle that has lost traction. In an Escalade, the center diff does not lock, so it's possible to have most, if not all power going to the front or rear axle that is spinning. There is the added advantage of being able to run in 2WD on the street, something the Caddy can't do. This was a major reason for me to get a 6.2 4X4 instead of an AWD Escalade.
Old December 9th, 2009, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

I can tell you that I came from a honda ridgeline and that 4wd/awd system sucked in my opinion. I got stuck countless times. If you went into 4lo lock you could not get over like 8mph or it would kick out. If you were stuck on an incline you would go to VTM 4 lock as soon as one wheel would spin at 8mph+ it would kick out and you are nowhere. It is my understanding that the AWD system is very similar. I have an LTZ and I like that much better. I personally think the AWD is suited better for handling. But who am I? Just your average consumer.
Old December 10th, 2009, 7:34 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I agree,
The AWD is meant for and excelent on the road, it was never intended for off road use, then again why would I want to take a $70,000. dollar Escalade off road?
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awd

I agree AWD is much better suited to onroad handling than anything off road.

I have a Wrangler on 35s for 'off road'...

So what we have determined is that the esky's AWD can't lock any of it's 3 diffs?

What if you turn off traction control in the esky? I found out to spin doughnuts in 2WD in my LTZ I have to kill that (in snow). Holding the button kills Stability Control.

What's the MPG of the 2010 AWD Tahoe vs the 2009 4WD one? (assuming you don't drive in 4wd on a daily basis lol)
Old December 10th, 2009, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

Actually, the Escalade does have a locking rear differential (most of them), but cannot lock the center diff., so it's still possible to have all power going to the front or rear axle, either of which might be spinning. The traction and stability control cut power and can even apply the brakes to an individual wheel, but it does nothing to equalize power distribution between the front and rear axles. There was no difference on fuel mileage ratings on my 6.2 LTZ for the 4X2 VS 4X4 models, both were 12/19 while running gas, but for E85, it is 10/14 for the 2wd, and 9/14 for the 4X4. The 5.3 was 14/20 but for 2010 is listed at 15/21 for both 2WD and 4X4's.
Old December 16th, 2009, 9:52 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
I don't know exactly how it works, but my 07 acts like it uses a combination of throttle, braking and transfer when it needs the traction. If I turn off the traction control, it seams more like a normal 4 high type of driving. IMO it's great for wet or dry road conditions but I miss having a low range.
My 2007 had 2H, auto, 4H, and 4L. Thought all of the 4WD had 4L.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fast55
Close. What they're referring to is the lack of a locking center diff. In the 4X4, when you are in "4 High" or "4 Low" VS the "auto" setting, the center differential is "locked". Combine that with a locking rear diff, and you are effectively "three wheel drive". Spinning either front or rear tires doesn't leave you stranded because the power all goes to axle that has lost traction. In an Escalade, the center diff does not lock, so it's possible to have most, if not all power going to the front or rear axle that is spinning. There is the added advantage of being able to run in 2WD on the street, something the Caddy can't do. This was a major reason for me to get a 6.2 4X4 instead of an AWD Escalade.
I am looking at a 2004 Suburban 1500 4WD with autoride, it only has high and low gear but is AWD, does that mean it has the same principle system as the Cadillac Escalade? And the rear axle does not have the G80 posidrive it seems. Question: how well does this system work in snow?

Quick Reply: AWD vs 4WD