Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Back door (tail gate)

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2016, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back door (tail gate)

I have a 2006 Tahoe 4x4 Z71 . My back door or tail gate is not locking . All the other doors lock and unlock but the back dont. I can open it any time with the doors locked .What could be the issue.
Old October 16th, 2016, 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's most likely a bad lock actuator inside the tailgate.

The actuator basically is an electrical solenoid or motor/gears which pull and push to lock and unlock the latch.

Remove the interior trim and watch what happens when you lock and unlock the doors. You should see movement near the latch area, usually the actuator pulls/pushes a steel rod. You might see a little movement, but not enough to actually unlock or lock the latch. Or there may be no movement at all.

The best way is to put a voltmeter across the two electrical leads connecting the actuator to the vehicle wiring. Then watch for voltage when you lock/unlock the doors. If there is voltage, then it's a bad actuator.

There is a possibility that a wire broke in the harness where it bends in the tailgate jamb, but this is less likely than a bad actuator.

A new actuator is usually around $40 or so for GM models.

Steve