Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bad blower motor??

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2018, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad blower motor??

Hello, I’m new to this forum and hoping that someone can offer some advice. I bought an ‘01 Suburban 1500 LT about 9 months ago. It had 232,000 when I bought it with quite a few issues. I have fixed all of them but one which I’m confused by.
When driving at highway speeds you get a loud, roaring sound at times when accelerating or decelerating. But, if you turn the blower off it stops immediately. Happens while using either AC or heat. Nothing seems to change with how it’s running, it’s juat loud. I’m no mechanic but I like working on stuff myself. I was about to change out the blower motor and resistor but was wondering if I’m on the right track. Not being a mechanic I’m not quite sure I’m seeing the connection of blower noise and acceleration. Is there something else I should be looking at.
Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Jeff
Old June 19th, 2018, 9:51 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Does the noise change with blower speed or does it just go away when you turn the blower completely off?

What happens if you leave the blower on but turn the air conditioning off?

I'm trying to determine if the noise is coming from the air conditioning compressor or the fan motor.
Old June 19th, 2018, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Does the noise change with blower speed or does it just go away when you turn the blower completely off?

What happens if you leave the blower on but turn the air conditioning off?

I'm trying to determine if the noise is coming from the air conditioning compressor or the fan motor.
Hi!
Thank you for your help.
No, the noise stays the same at any blower speed and only goes away when I turn the blower completely off. It is the same situation even if the AC is turned off.
Thank you again!!
Old June 19th, 2018, 2:14 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Does the A/C compressor shut off when the blower is off? If so, that points the finger at the compressor. It could either be the compressor itself or the clutch bearings.