Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2019, 8:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default belt squeal

I replaced all hoses, belts, and tensioners as well as the idler pulley on my 01 Suburban, 5.3L. The old belt with 130,000 miles on it didn't make a sound. I sprayed water on the belt and the squeal went away for a bit, but then returned. Supposedly if the belt stops squealing when water is applied directly to the belt the problem is with the belt, or so I have been told. I have replaced the new belt three times and all is quiet for a while, but the squeal comes back. After all the work I did on the vehicle, I'm hesitant to drive it for all the looks I get because of the annoying belt noise. I tried a belt treatment on the first new belt and the sound got worse...now what?
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a recent very similar story to yours. I have a 2001 Yukon XL,125K. I'm a northerner who goes down south for 3 months. Got the truck all ready to go. I noticed a slight squeal from the belt. I put some belt dressing on which quieted it down. Headed out the New Years Eve morning. Made it about 70 miles. The belt snapped because the water pump froze. Had to be flat bedded home. Three days later back on the road. Made it down south with no issues. Mechanic said the water pump problem was partially caused by a worn tensioner. Had the water pump, tensioner, all belts thermostat and antifreeze replaced.......$580.

Tom
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:31 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you're replacing belts and pulleys, also check accessories (alternator, water pump, power steering) by hand to see if any are rough.
Also check that the pullies are all 'in a strait line'.. if you have one that's a few degrees off it can stress the system. use a yard stick or strait edge and make sure it all lines up. Had a friend's boat chasing belt failure after failure to find out the bracket holding the raw water pump was slightly bent!
Old January 8th, 2019, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

put an oem belt on it. aftermarket belts are junk
Old January 10th, 2019, 1:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
Indeed so, but most people, go for the lowest prices everytime. GMpartsdirect.com has great prices on many things.

I just priced a serrpitine belt and GMpartsdirect. com which was 6 bucks cheaper then the out of stock A-Z crap at $21.99.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; January 10th, 2019 at 1:21 AM.
Old January 10th, 2019, 8:47 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
Sorry, Tech2; GM does not make its own belts, has no "belt factory". Manufacturers ALL contract such stuff out to Gates, Dayco, etc. Buy a good-quality belt, just not the "bargain brand"
Old January 10th, 2019, 8:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when you buy a belt from the dealer...its a oem belt and they are much better quality than aftermarket crap you buy at a jobber.
worked at dealerships and independent shops...oem parts are a higher quality, better fitting, easier part to install cause they are made to gm engineering specs. does gm contract out to companies to make their parts...you bet.
its hard to know what brand is good...if you buy oem...rest assured it good.

Last edited by tech2; January 10th, 2019 at 8:08 PM.