Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Best place to buy a used Suburban around $10k-$20k?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy a used Suburban around $10k-$20k?

Hey there,

I'm about to buy a used Suburban for between $10k to $20k (budget is flexible for what makes sense). I've been researching and I see prices all over the place.

Is there a best place you guys can recommend buying? Ebay? Craigslist? A certain dealer? Private party or dealer?

I know that I want the 1500, 4x4, sunroof, Z71 if possible, and features don't matter as much as I want to keep price down.

Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2014, 6:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I used Autotrader to find my latest Burb purchase. Ended up buying it at a VW dealer who took it in on trade. My plan B was to look on eBay, to fly down to Texas and buy one down there. They're a dime a dozen down there.
Old January 20th, 2014, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

there is a post in here asking about chevy sub prices he has one for sale for chep money and low low miles look at new post down further to see his post.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

All I see is the super old Suburban for sale, nothing else
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
I used Autotrader to find my latest Burb purchase. Ended up buying it at a VW dealer who took it in on trade. My plan B was to look on eBay, to fly down to Texas and buy one down there. They're a dime a dozen down there.
Oh yea Autotrader, I remember that magazine!

Ebay seems to be good, but it is dominated by dealers. I was thinking a private party gives me the opportunity for a much better deal...
Old January 20th, 2014, 3:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try carguru in your search
Old January 22nd, 2014, 12:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Auction dude.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Check Chicago Motors - They have a 2500 right now on their website, 91,000 miles for $15,995. This is where I got my Tahoe and am very happy with it:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban for sale by Chicago Motors Inc., Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Chicago, IL area

Asia Motors (also located in Chicago) also has some on occasion although I didn't see any under their current inventory:

Welcome to Asia Motors, Used Car, Truck, and SUV Dealer in Chicago, IL

Good luck!
Old January 25th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Junior Member

I've had pretty good luck buying and selling vehicles on Craig's List, though you will come up against a few problems. A lot of spammers and phishing goes on, you have to drive many different directions to check out the different available vehicles and a problem with all sellers, no matter the medium in finding the vehicle, is selective memory regarding the condition and faults of the vehicle. I can't tell you how many times 'it's perfect' turns into 'it's perfect, except for...' after you've driven 50 miles to inspect it.

eBay can be a great resource too, especially if you're trying to find specific equipment such as a sunroof and Z71, but you're bidding against other people, which is really the opposite of what you want to do in getting a good price and since eBay is national, the perfect vehicle may be too far away to inspect before bidding. And after the sale, you might find out that the sellers overall rating of the vehicle is different then your rating system, but you're the new owner. eBay sells a ton of vehicles but I've never been able to buy a vehicle sight unseen; just seems to be too many variables on what I'm expecting and what I might be getting.

Another local source is a car mart but beware, a lot of sellers use those to dump problem vehicles that they don't want to spend any money on to make minor or major repairs.

Last edited by rjdjbd; January 25th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old January 25th, 2014, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response Richard!

Of all of those, which do you think is the best for buying a vehicle that has no problems, is as described, non scammy, etc? Would you say Ebay from a dealer? (vs a person)?

Quick Reply: Best place to buy a used Suburban around $10k-$20k?