Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

blower motor/resistor/fuse not working

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2019, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor/resistor/fuse not working

All,
I've tried doing my due diligence and searching for various threads that might help me, but I've found nothing.
My heater/ac is not blowing any air. not matter what area or if its on AC vs heater i cannot get any air whatsoever to come out of the vents.
I started with the blower motor fuse which was not bad, but i replaced it anyways. it fixed nothing. I then proceeded to replace the heater resistor.............still no luck. this morning I just replaced the blower motor and I'm still getting nothing. As far as i understand I've now replaced everything in the control loop except for the console/dash controller. I'm assuming its fine because it responds to every input and when i change vent locations i can hear the motors open and close to change the direction of the air.
has anyone ran into this and what was the fix? can anyone see the obvious errors in my ways and point out what i'm missing?
I need help, wife can't drive kids to school in a freezing car with fogged up windows. I'm just glad I've got xmas break to get it fixed, but we still need to drive it on the daily.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

Please post vehicle year and model
Old December 22nd, 2019, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry, 2006 Tahoe
Old December 22nd, 2019, 1:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Start with the basics. Is power getting to the blower motor? Put a multimeter on the connector plug and make sure it has voltage.
You said you can hear the vent doors moving. Does air come out of the vents at highway speeds?
If memory serves, there are multiple fuse locations, not just under the hood but on the side of the dash as well. Check your owners manual for the various locations.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 3:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Start with the basics. Is power getting to the blower motor? Put a multimeter on the connector plug and make sure it has voltage.
You said you can hear the vent doors moving. Does air come out of the vents at highway speeds?
If memory serves, there are multiple fuse locations, not just under the hood but on the side of the dash as well. Check your owners manual for the various locations.
This. So far you've thrown parts at it without testing.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 1:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Could be the fan speed selector
Old February 9th, 2020, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I get that if i had a dmm i could test the voltage on the circuit at various locations.
however i don't and based on what i've already replaced does anyone understand the circuit enough to let me know what else it could be.
not fuse in engine bay-not blown
not fuse inside dash-not blown
not blower resistor-replaced still doesn't work
not blower motor-replaced still doesn't work
is the only thing left the actual controller and does anyone know why everything else would still work, but not the fan circuit?
please any help would be greatly appreciated
Old February 9th, 2020, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

because the fan speed selector is only connected to the fan circuit.

A $15 DMM could save you from firing thousands of dollars worth of parts at a problem.

You could replace all the components and still have a problem caused by faulty wiring/connections. That's why electrical troubleshooting is essential.

If you can't afford $15, then use a spare 12V bulb with some wires attached to it

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; February 9th, 2020 at 1:59 PM.
Old February 9th, 2020, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

so in desperation i removed the climate control module from my truck and installed in my tahoe. that also did not solve the problem.
so does anyone know of any other components that can be causing this issue?
i get what you're saying and i'll look at going and buying a dmm, but if i've replaced every single component and its still not working then what good is a dmm?
i know i have a good blower motor (brand new), i know i have a good resistor module (brand new), i know i have a good climate control module (taken from my truck that was fully functional), and i know that my fuses are good (ive checked the 2 that i know of).........................what am i missing?
the tahoe is 14 years old, i've owned it for 8 with no issues. if there was faulty wiring i would have encountered it long before now and this wouldn't be the only electrical issues i'd be having.
Old February 9th, 2020, 4:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

ASE mechanic.

Quick Reply: blower motor/resistor/fuse not working