Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blown Engine(6.0 swap?)

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2018, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blown Engine(6.0 swap?)

I have a 2009 Yukon(Vin0) SLT 4x4 with a 5.3l and 6-speed transmission. It is in great condition and doesn't have any rust, electronic or transmission problems. It currently has 190k miles on it and the engine overheated last year so I had a reman 5.3l put in it. After 20k miles I had a bad lifter and rod(so now not useable to do afm delete). Still under warranty, the company partially(long story) refunded the shop I used and now I'm back to square one. From what I've read the 5.3l constantly has lifter problems from this year. My mechanic suggested I swap a 6.0 in it. It would be cheaper and more power. I don't care about mpg as long as I have a reliable truck. My research has led me to the idea the L96 would be best.

I don't care about dod or afm or using flex fuel or even mpg. I want a reliable vehicle that won't have problems.
Is this the best engine?
What years should I get the 6.0 from?
Will my 6-speed transmission hold up to this engine if I don't drive it like I stole it?
Is it a direct swap or will i need... a tune? New cam? wiring harness? flywheel?
What exactly will I need to do and what parts?

Please give me any and as much advice as possible. if you know anyone who has done this swap or have researched it. Do you know if I need a tune or who does them and price?
Thanks in advance!