Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

BOSE AMP INFO

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2007, 2:10 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts
Default BOSE AMP INFO

Picked this up off another forum (can't vouch for accuracy but thought might answer some questions re: Centerpoint):

"I'm familiar with all of the Bose automotive amplifiers because I'm an EE for the company. The amp used in the Tahoe is assigned to a team of engineers of which I belong to. The Tahoe does not have CenterPoint but the amplifier does employ digital signal processing (DSP). The amp in the Tahoe is a 5000 series amp. We assign project names to most of our amp designs at rollout which are used internally to easily identify them. The amp in the Tahoe is referred to as "Lugnut". As with all of our amps, each vehicle model's interior is EQ'd with complex microphones resulting in a EQ curve that is loaded into the amp's processor each time the system is powered up. The more complex amps actually use a different EQ for cloth versus leather interiors. Because so many things can be tweaked to the signal in the digital realm, analog signals are passed through analog to digital converters, or CODEC's as they are known. After processing is complete, the signal is passed back thru the CODEC's where it's sent to the final power amplifiers. The CenterPoint feature found in the Yukon Denali, as well as AudioPilot use a completely different amplifier (a 6000 amp), and consequently a totally different wiring harness. While it's possible to retrofit the Tahoe with the 6000 amp, it would require the removal of many interior components. I would imagine that GM would balk at performing such a request."
Old January 27th, 2007, 4:35 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BOSE AMP INFO

It's accurate.
Old January 27th, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Picked this up off another forum (can't vouch for accuracy but thought might answer some questions re: Centerpoint)....
I can. I amthe author of the quoted post.
Old January 27th, 2007, 8:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO, gotta love the name! Good write up Hardin Thicke! I just wanted to say that. haha. That name cracks my **** up!
Old January 27th, 2007, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Any idea why Chevy couldn't figure out how to get the Autovolume control to work on the 2002 TrailBlazers?
Old January 28th, 2007, 2:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid I can't help. The autovolume feature is controlled by the head unit,which as you may already know, is not a Bose component. I read somewhere in another thread where the poster said that cabin noise was sampled by a microphone. I didn't think that that the autovolume control was that sophisticated. I had a 2000 Impala which had autovolume, and that onesampled the vehicle's CAN bus (I think GM calls in GMLAN) to get speed information and set volume that way.It was very predictable. When you hit a specific speed, you could hear the audio level ramp up or down a level. We're working on a head unit presently, and hope it will make its way into US cars in the near future. Right now, it's only going into Ferarri. The features will blow you away and include a large screen,a dual diversity receiver (are you readyfor twinantennas?), and proximity detectors on the controls so as you reach for a certain ****, the control feature of that **** blooms up on the screen so it's easily read.
Old January 28th, 2007, 2:32 AM
Administrator

I'm familar with the speed controlled volume, in fact, that's what I believe the 07 (and previous years) Tahoe has. The 02 TB had a mike in the rear view mirror that sampled interior sound level and fed back to the head unit to control volume based on ambient noise level in the cabin. Thru several forums was unable to find anyone who had one that worked. The tech at my service dept talked with someone at Chevrolet who told him to measure the mike voltage level. I believe it was around 15 millivolts. The Chevrolet tech line told him the max input to the head unit was 12 millivolts. If that was in fact the case, then I don't see how it could work at all. Finally gave up on it and noticed that Chevy did also as went back to speed control volume level. I believe I read that the Honda Odyssey had a cabin noise level control for their volume. Never verified that tho.

Thanks for the other info.