Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake Job and Findings ...

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2009, 2:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Job and Findings ...

Hey everyone! Well, after living with squealing brakes for a couple months (since I bought her), I looked into new pads even though the ones installed looked good as new (other than some glazing). Installed already were the Baer Eradi-Stop rotors. Nobody local would turn the rotors for me since they were cross-drilled and slotted, so I called Baer tech support. The tech said that if the brakes weren't shimmying or pulsating not to worry about cutting and to just follow the "bedding" process for new pads. He emphasized "ceramic" pads; not suggested ... EMPHASIZED ... and recommended Raybestos. Well, again nobody local that I could find carried the good ole American brand, lasty NAPA, where I was shocked ... seems their own brand is made in China! Noooooooo way! I will not purchase brakes manufactured there for many reasons. Last stop was Advance Auto Parts where I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had American made ceramic pads by Duramax. I've only installed the rear (sanding the rotors, sanding the pads, painting some parts then following Baer's bedding procedure) and wow what a difference! No more squeal! I am however going to do the fronts just for the sake of having all new pads and not knowing what's on there now.

Now for the extra findings ... As I had the passenger rear wheel off, I notice that the dogbone link for the anti-sway bar was actually "not bolted into" the D-tabs on the top where it meets the frame! But the bolt and nut were tight through the bushing itself! The bottom was bolted tight so it wouldn't hang down. Logic indicates that the person that previously did the installation of the polyurethane bushings noticed the D-tab got bent in an accident, got lazy and just left it detatched. There was even the OEM bolt and sleeve still installed in the D-tab, however the bolt was snapped and the nut missing ... in other words the bolt was just sitting in there. Jeez, a pair of vice-grips and some muscle took care of the D-tabs! The outer diameter of the bushing got damaged by the weight of the frame pushing down on it so much (where it was positioned "out of the way"), but I salvaged it and sqeezed it back into the dogbone and between the D-tabs.

Just for reference, if anyone can help me determine which brand of bushings I have it would be appreciated ... the number I pulled off the dogbone bushing is DJM 64166 - they are typical two piece red polyurethane.

Anyway, still got the front to do ... let's see what I can find!