Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2022, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Which fuse are you removing to get the lights turned OFF ?
Do the lights stay on when the headlights are turned OFF?
What happens when you unplug the PRK LAMP relay in the underhood fuse block?

The one that says STOP LAMPS
They stay ON when the headlights are off
They stayed ON when unplugged the PRK LAMP relay

Old November 23rd, 2022, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Also I noticed something else today, after I unplugged the PRK LAMP relay and nothing changed, I unplugged the fuse to turn them off so I could touch the bulb to remove it and the top filament stayed on but not really bright, like if it was dimmed , I pulled the relay again and plug it back on and they went out
Old November 23rd, 2022, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Noesito73
They stay ON when the headlights are off
They stayed ON when unplugged the PRK LAMP relay
When you pull the PRK LAMP relay, their is NO path from the BCM to power the park filaments in the bulbs.
If they are still lit, there has to be a cross-over in the wiring harness, connectors, bulb sockets, etc.
Is there a trailer brake controller that's compounding the issue?
Check the trailer plug (backside) for corrosion, mud, etc. There is full time power in the trailer plug (pin E ) that could be the source of the leakage power. Try pulling fuse 68, STUD-1.

Also I noticed something else today, after I unplugged the PRK LAMP relay and nothing changed, I unplugged the fuse to turn them off so I could touch the bulb to remove it and the top filament stayed on but not really bright, like if it was dimmed , I pulled the relay again and plug it back on and they went out
That's weird, I got nothing
Old November 24th, 2022, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

When you pull the PRK LAMP relay, their is NO path from the BCM to power the park filaments in the bulbs.
If they are still lit, there has to be a cross-over in the wiring harness, connectors, bulb sockets, etc.
Is there a trailer brake controller that's compounding the issue?
Check the trailer plug (backside) for corrosion, mud, etc. There is full time power in the trailer plug (pin E ) that could be the source of the leakage power. Try pulling fuse 68, STUD-1.

That's weird, I got nothing
I unplugged STUD-1 but is not fuse 68 on my truck is says is 71 but nothing happened, I also unplugged any other fuse that called for trailer lights or trailer stop lights and nothing, and YES there was a brake controller when I bought it, when I discover the problem I removed it and taped the wires under the dashboard and removed the two power wires attached to the fuse box under the hood,
Old November 25th, 2022, 7:18 AM
CF Active Member

I unplugged STUD-1 but is not fuse 68 on my truck is says is 71 but nothing happened, I also unplugged any other fuse that called for trailer lights or trailer stop lights and nothing, and YES there was a brake controller when I bought it, when I discover the problem I removed it and taped the wires under the dashboard and removed the two power wires attached to the fuse box under the hood,
Sorry about that, my books are for the 2011, I guess there are some differences.
I hope the BCM connectors are labeled.
Try disconnecting just the BCM X6 connector, check pin 2 with a test light for this phantom brake light voltage.
Other BCM connections:
BCM X6 pin 2 L-BU = STOP LAMPS
BCM X4 pin 4 RD/WH = STOP LAMPS FUSE
BCM X5 pin 24 D-BU = PARK LAMP RLY

Old December 7th, 2022, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry about that, my books are for the 2011, I guess there are some differences.
I hope the BCM connectors are labeled.
Try disconnecting just the BCM X6 connector, check pin 2 with a test light for this phantom brake light voltage.
Other BCM connections:
BCM X6 pin 2 L-BU = STOP LAMPS
BCM X4 pin 4 RD/WH = STOP LAMPS FUSE
BCM X5 pin 24 D-BU = PARK LAMP RLY

The BCM connectors are not labeled other than the color it says nothing else, is there any way to know which one is which ?
Old December 8th, 2022, 7:44 AM
CF Active Member

The BCM connectors are not labeled other than the color it says nothing else, is there any way to know which one is which ?
BCM X1, L-GN, (27pin)
BCM X2, WH, (25pin)
BCM X3, L-BU, (25pin)
BCM X4, BK, (25pin), pin 4 RD/WH = STOP LAMPS FUSE
BCM X5, BN, (25pin), pin 24 D-BU = PARK LAMP RLY
BCM X6, PK, (25pin), pin 2 L-BU = STOP LAMPS
BCM X7, GY, (28pin)
According to my books, X6 is the only connector that has a L-BU wire on pin 2.

If this was mine, I'd look for a way to release the wire from the connector (safety pin, paper clip), usually there's a tab or catch holding the socket in the connector housing.
This would leave all the voltages and signals going to the BCM except for the brake light wire. If the bulb is still lit then the BCM is probably NOT the problem.

Old December 9th, 2022, 7:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

$20 will get you a one month subscription for your trucks shop manual with the wiring diagrams at alldatadiy.com
Old February 13th, 2023, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

BCM X1, L-GN, (27pin)
BCM X2, WH, (25pin)
BCM X3, L-BU, (25pin)
BCM X4, BK, (25pin), pin 4 RD/WH = STOP LAMPS FUSE
BCM X5, BN, (25pin), pin 24 D-BU = PARK LAMP RLY
BCM X6, PK, (25pin), pin 2 L-BU = STOP LAMPS
BCM X7, GY, (28pin)
According to my books, X6 is the only connector that has a L-BU wire on pin 2.

If this was mine, I'd look for a way to release the wire from the connector (safety pin, paper clip), usually there's a tab or catch holding the socket in the connector housing.
This would leave all the voltages and signals going to the BCM except for the brake light wire. If the bulb is still lit then the BCM is probably NOT the problem.

I released the wire form the connector and the lights are off now, the parking light filament turns on and off with the light switch as is supposed to now, but the brake light filament does not work, the third light still works normal.
Old February 13th, 2023, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

I released the wire form the connector and the lights are off now, the parking light filament turns on and off with the light switch as is supposed to now, but the brake light filament does not work, the third light still works normal.
Looks like a bad BCM, bummer.
Final verification of a bad BCM, does pin 2 (without the wire) still have 12 V ??
Yes, Bad BCM
No, "Failure to communicate" the testing and results. (between you & me)

Quick Reply: Brake lights constantly lit on tail lights?