Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brakes pulsating

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes pulsating

Brand new here and have been searching for suggestions to an issue I'm having with no luck.

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with about 65,000 miles. Back somewhere around 45,000 I had the dealer replace brakes all around. Four new rotors and new pads. Being that I've replaced many brakes myself, I was reluctant to pay the dealer rate, but did.

For the past month or so, when slowing from highway speed (like using an exit ramp) I get a nasty brake pulsation. Not sure if it's the front or rear.

Last week I noticed when stopped in my driveway and pressing on the brake pedal, I get a squeak from the rear brakes. Somewhat like opening a door with dry hinges. I wondered if the rear caliper(s) were binding. Wondered if the tech put the caliper bolts or pad clips back in without lubing them.

Pulled one wheel, one cailiper and the pads. The caliper piston moved in freely and didn't appear to be binding. The cailper bolts were lubed well. The pad clips were dry and a little rusted. So, I cleaned and lubed the pad clips and re-installed them.

While doing this, I noticed the pads were not wearing evenly. One end of each pad has more wear than the other. I'm assuming the caliper is not pressing evenly on the pad and/or the rotor. Wondering if the pad have been binding up in the clips which caused the uneven wear.

Problem still exists. So here is my thought...

Replace both rear rotors and pads again and see what happens. I'd rather pay the $150 for rotors and pads and swap them myself than let the dealer charge me again to fix the problem I think they probably caused in the first place.

Hate to do this if the rotors and pads are not the problem. Rotors look smooth and in graet shape. Not sure if they've become warped tho.

Anyone else have this issue? Any other ideas of possible solutions?

Thanks for the help!
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently replaced all of our rotors and pads - very easy job FYI...
regarding the pads looking worn on the ends, do they look worn on both ends? if so that is the way they look brand new - I noticed that when I put ours in. if it is just 1 end then yes it may have not been installed exactly straight and flush. That could have caused an issue with uneven wear

I think your rotors are warped

Last edited by ousig2408; July 14th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks.

The pads have a noticeable slope to the wear surface. Definately not even. Not just at the edge. The whole ceramic pad is wearing at a slope.

Rotors could be warped. Why the squeak when pressing on the peddle and not moving?
Old July 14th, 2011, 2:18 PM
CF Senior Member

regarding the squeak there is really not much going on down there so maybe you need to put more brake lube on the back of the pads and where the pad ends sit in the little brackets. I mean there is only 1 piston on the rear brakes so just look at anything that moves to make sure it is lubed and all of the bolts are tight tight
Old July 14th, 2011, 5:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You could pull the rotors and take them to a shop and have them check the true-ness without turning them and that should help answer and warping issues..
Old July 14th, 2011, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Pulsating brake pedal almost certainly means warped rotors, probably the front ones since they do about 70% of the braking. I think the leading end of the pad will wear a little faster than the trailing edge.

Warped rotors has been a fairly common complaint w/ the NBS. Something about the rotors being from Red China. Who knew?
Old July 15th, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input.

Any recommendation for the type of new rotors and the best place to get them? Same with pads?
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
CF Senior Member

I got everything from Autozone.
their IMAX pads for front and regular ceramic for the back. they only have 1 type of rotor so I went that route. you can go to their site to price it all out - it was all under $350 total for sure
honestly I dont know of anything other than 1) luck or 2) spending a LOT of money that will ensure you won't have warped rotors again. Just be sure to drive easy at 1st and follow the break in procedures and that will help.