Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Broken power folding mirrors....

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2013, 3:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the problem lies in the little motor in the mirror that does the folding. In AUG 2012 my passenger mirror failed. I had it replaced at dealer and took the old one apart. The little dc motor which does the rotating appears to be very similar to the little motor that we used to use in slot car back in the 60s and 70s. And you know about the reliability of chinese JUNK. By the way my drivers side failed this year and $541 for the mirror and $116 for installation has cost the dealer far more as he will never see my busness again.
Old March 16th, 2013, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Add me to the list of failing mirrors. I have an '08 suburban with under 35k miles and my passenger mirror is acting up.
Old March 17th, 2013, 5:20 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

2001ramair Welcome to the forum...
You might try removing the mirror and checking out the workings to see if its just debris preventing it from working correctly or if its actually getting worn out..
Might also try re-seating the electrical connector, it could simpley be a poor or intermittent connection..

Last edited by in2pro; March 17th, 2013 at 5:24 AM.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

In2pro, thanks, I will check it out tomorrow, hopefully it is as simple as debris though it does sound "sick" and does move a lot slower then the drivers side.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Administrator

I don't have the power fold mirrors, however I do have to pull my drivers side mirror in every day to park in my garage, I have noticed that the mechanism seems balky compared to the passenger side... I will try and pull it off and take it apart this week and report back what I find...
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced Mirror

I replaced the passenger side power folding mirror on my 2009 Avy LTZ. It is not a bad job. You have to pull the door panel off, but there are only 3 bolts with the rest being friction pins. Oddly, all the wiring for the door goes through window switch plate. It just snaps in too. Cost online was right around $200 shipped.
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did you get it for 200.00 as my 07 right side mirror is broken
Old April 11th, 2015, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Silverado LTZ Passenger Mirror

I am the one and only owner of my 07 Silverado LTZ. About 1 year ago my passenger side power folding mirror simply stopped working. IT does however make a humming / whine sound when activating the folding feature but only drivers (left side) moves. This malfunction appears to be faulty equipment. What assistance will GM offer us outside of class action. In my opinion this is a common occurrence and bad materials and parts.
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 4x4tx,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This may be due to a wiring harness issue. I offer this as a possibility, not as a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

I would be happy to look into this further for you. If you would like me to proceed, please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN and the vehicle mileage.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 12th, 2015, 7:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by thumpros@yahoo.com
I am the one and only owner of my 07 Silverado LTZ. About 1 year ago my passenger side power folding mirror simply stopped working. IT does however make a humming / whine sound when activating the folding feature but only drivers (left side) moves. This malfunction appears to be faulty equipment. What assistance will GM offer us outside of class action. In my opinion this is a common occurrence and bad materials and parts.

Welcome to the forum
Given that your vehicle is 8 years old and 5 years out of warranty, I highly doubt GM will give this any real attention. Have you taken it in to have it looked at by your dealership? they can at least evaluate it and let you know the cost of replacement and by some chance it could be partly covered but again I doubt it given its age...
I would suggest opening it up and evaluating it as it might be something you can address by simple cleaning up the mechanism....
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Topic is back from the dead, sorry GM, this internet thing has really stuck huh ?

The issue here is the mechanism contains 1 cheap plastic spur gear which easily breaks, rendering the entire folding mechanism useless. You will hear the motor humming along, but since that little plastic spur gear has broken, the motor is no longer connected to anything and thus not folding the mirrors in or out.

We at GruvenParts are now working on a replacement gear made from high strength steel, the way GM would of made it if they cared about building reliable vehicles. The rest of the mechanism is built very well with all metal gears. Its sadly obvious this was a weak link designed to fail and thus cause you to spend $1000 at your dealer each time you bump the mirror on something.

We'll be updating the thread we started here, please visit and check in -

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...32/#post302681

www.GruvenParts.com

Quick Reply: Broken power folding mirrors....