Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Rear privacy glass !!

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Rear privacy glass !!

Hi guys , this is my first post here , and i want to help out in the forum here,
But i have a little question.
I have an '08 tahoe LTZ fully loaded and every body knows that it has tinted windows on the rear aka Privacy glass . so here is the thing :
My neighbor's kid had shattered my rear window. so his father bought me a new window , and i appreciate it but the problem is that the window is not tinted like the factory ones and i hate how it looks with the tint from the inside and all the defogger lines showing up , so is there any place where i could get a factory tinted rear window ??? and how much would it cost me ?

Thanks in advance
Old June 10th, 2010, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Find a nearby Safelite glass location at www.safelite.com. They do all the insurance companies and they can replace your rear window and anything else like factory new. They replaced my windshield, rain sensor and all, perfectly ! Check 'em out !
Old June 11th, 2010, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

You will only be able to tint the window to I believe 20% to match the factory. There is no way to place the tint inside the glass like the factory glass without purchasing the rear window again. I would find out where he bought it and see if they will swap it out for you.
Old June 11th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

I just had this problem on my 2005 Tahoe, except mine was rear quarter panel glass. I called around and found a disparity in the prices charged for installation and product type.

The guy I finally found said he did the glass for many dealerships in my area. He told me he could get the OEM glass, but it would cost me more. I could get matching glass cheaper by buying produuct from GM vendors through third-party installers--much cheaper than the dealership. He got me Guardian glass, which was the exact glass I needed.

If you can, check out the etching on the interiors of your rear window and rear quarter windows to determine what brand of glass it is. I did, and mine are all Guardian, which I didn't know before my window broke!
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ltzboy
You will only be able to tint the window to I believe 20% to match the factory. There is no way to place the tint inside the glass like the factory glass without purchasing the rear window again. I would find out where he bought it and see if they will swap it out for you.
, i tinted the window to 20 % and it matched the factory windows but like i said i hate how the defogger lines showing through the tint , so a guy from safelite told me if you want a cheaper solution you would tint the windows from outside not inside for it to look like the factory ones ! is that possible ???

Last edited by hayderpro; June 11th, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old June 12th, 2010, 9:23 AM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hayderpro
, i tinted the window to 20 % and it matched the factory windows but like i said i hate how the defogger lines showing through the tint , so a guy from safelite told me if you want a cheaper solution you would tint the windows from outside not inside for it to look like the factory ones ! is that possible ???
\

I wouldn't tint the outside unless you don't have rear wipers or a need to occasionally use a scraper. The tinting material won't hold up to wiper use or scraping IMO.
Old June 12th, 2010, 1:10 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Any reason why they didn't use tinted glass to replace your broken one?
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Any reason why they didn't use tinted glass to replace your broken one?
I think because of the price!!!! because i'm sure that privacy glass is a lot more expensive than normal glass, so i have to trade it in somewhere other than the dealer , because the dealer said that he doesn't have that rear window.

So either i tint from outside and change the tint every couple of months (cheap Solution) or spend alot of $$$ on a tinted window !
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:12 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Changing the tint six times a year won't be cheap. Not sure why since your neighbor broke it, why he isn't replacing it w/ the correct glass.

Maybe should have used your insurance and let him pay the deductible. Shouldn't affect your rates as not ur fault.

But that's water under the bridge. If it was me, I still get him to pay for it. Good luck.
Old June 15th, 2010, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Changing the tint six times a year won't be cheap. Not sure why since your neighbor broke it, why he isn't replacing it w/ the correct glass.

Maybe should have used your insurance and let him pay the deductible. Shouldn't affect your rates as not ur fault.

But that's water under the bridge. If it was me, I still get him to pay for it. Good luck.
Well , Because i am tinting from the outside . i won't have too worry about defogger lines and this means that i can use cheap material until i find a cheap one on Ebay or amazon , and i think he didn't replace it with the correct glass because he is so cheap !!!!!! thank god he bought me a window instead of just saying i'm sorry !!!!! when i get a black one i'll try to sell mine to dubai or somewhere in the middle east where they would pay a good price there because their chevy's doesn't have privacy glass there ( its against the law there )

Quick Reply: Broken Rear privacy glass !!