Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Buying a used 2009 tahoe hybrid

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

relative just bought an 09 hybrid with somewhere in the neighborhood of 50k miles for probably $28-$29k as i saw it advertised for 29.9...they have had no issues..takes a bit to get used to due to being quiet...think it is more of what could happen, not what all has happened to people? as not sure these have been out long enough for the hevay duty / high dollar components to start failing requiring repairs. i really think that if the battery ever zonks out on this person, they will make the necessary changes to just drive it as a 6.0L
Old September 1st, 2014, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

I am considering a 08 Tahoe Hybrid with 67,500 miles. Does anyone have any up to date pros and cons, I know the batteries are covered 8yr/100,000 miles but have not been able to find any forum where owners have had actual problems with them most comments are speculation or if they did no mileage coalition. And yes I know the cost of new battery is 1,600-2,300. and go comment away
Old September 2nd, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hybrid

Well, GM's decision to drop the hybrid for 2015 should tell you something about their long term usability and desire to support them... (specifically the Tahoe Hybrid, not all hybrids, which I still think are more marketing than tech).

If you want to save the planet, or just get around it really, really fast, you can buy one of these:

Model X | Tesla Motors

I'm waiting on a test drive for one... drove the Model S last summer... but I like SUVs.

If this thing can tow my jet skis... I'm sold.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 2nd, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw a Chevy Volt pulling a 20 foot trailer (empty) the other day. An electric vehicle should have no problems pulling a trailer even with some weight, though you will use up battery more quickly with the heavier load... much like a freight train, diesel electric is an excellent way to move weight...
The Volts gas electric has this advantage
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Every car will be some type of hybrid in the future. They have pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric versions. The cost is high right now because it's new "Tech". Bottom line is they do increase MPGs in town, and with all of the new CAFE/EPA standards to meet, it's an easy one on the checklist.

As for dropping it in 2015. 8 Speed transmissions are coming out, as well as the planned 10 speed jointly developed with Ford. The 5.3 engine is now DI, has Variable Valve timing, and AFM doesn't burn oil, they'll be pressed to find new MPGs elsewhere.

Chevy is making engines bigger so they run in 4 cylinder mode more often (vette), maybe that will translate to SUVs/Trucks soon.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
CF Addict

Default towing

Agreed. I'm actually curious as to why more tractor-trailers aren't setup like trains... diesel engines drive generators. which then drive the traction motors...

you get infinite more control, don't have 20 gears, and the parts would be more easily swapped for failures... but again, you're adding complexity overall...

I believe they tow stuff w/the volt (and other cars) to simulate load over time. the trailers have weights or brakes that simulate hills / etc without the need for an actual mountain.

I'm not a fan of the hybrid car... too many parts, too many moving pieces, too much to go wrong.

Battery Pack --> speed controller --> motor. ONE moving part. ONE gear transmission.

I assume you've all seen this guy:

The Renovo Coupe Is An Electric Shelby With 1,000 LB-FT Of Torque

we are obviously quite a ways from an electric Tahoe, and even further from one which does what I need a truck to do (Haul 8,000 lbs)... but for many people, a tahoe sized electric vehicle... may just fit the bill.

One of my favorite parts about the Electric car revolution?

MADE IN THE USA.

and can we all pause at the thought of 1,000 ft lbs of torque from 0 RPM?

That chassis, along with the body and suspension, is modified to withstand the rigors of the twin sequential motors putting out 500 horsepower to the rear wheels. Obviously, the headline figure is the torque – 1,000 lb-ft – available from a standstill and able to push the Renovo Coupe from 0 to 60 mph in under 3.4 seconds.

and it's looks don't hurt either

I actually had an R/C electric high performance car when I was younger... so much torque it would spin the rims inside the rubber wheels, so you had to glue them on.

how long until we can do that on a real car?!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 2nd, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 7:08 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Has Tesla solved their issues w/ the factory direct to buyer sales model?

Don't top fuel dragsters have their tires attached to the rims? Might not fit the "real car" definition tho.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 8:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah there was a news story, but really it's not their problem, it other Dealerships with the problem. After my experiences with Stealerships, I'd do factory direct or peer to peer over that again anyday!

Originally Posted by 73shark
Has Tesla solved their issues w/ the factory direct to buyer sales model?

Don't top fuel dragsters have their tires attached to the rims? Might not fit the "real car" definition tho.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Addict

Most states now allow it, those that don't, you just go online to order... I hate stealerships so much it hurts. Realtor's also tick me off, but that's another forum

You order online, no hassle, no haggle, doesn't matter your skin color, gender, or hair color. the prices are the prices.

Price and buy a car just like you buy an ipad or laptop. Doesn't matter what state your in, it's the same.

Since they don't build any cars not ordered, there is no wasted inventory or cars sitting on lots waiting for suckers to buy them just because they are 'in stock'.

I like this model 100x more than any stealership....

Tesla didn't just destroy the idea of a car, what with a 99/100 rating, a 5.5 out of 5 crash rating, no tailpipe emissions, 0-60 of a sports car, and the sexy lines of a Jag... they destroyed what you thought buying a car could be like.

If there was any way in hell I could afford one right now, I'd be driving one... but I figure it's going to take me another 2-3 years to pull it off...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 3rd, 2014 at 8:35 AM.
Old September 9th, 2014, 3:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 Tahoe Hybrid that now has 80K.

When we 1st got it, there was an issue with the drive shaft / front trans seal leaking. Then all 4 door actuators broke, were replaced, then broken again (then I fixed with my own). Then the dash has cracked in 2 places, its nearly severed in 2 now above the cluster. The steering wheel trim has peeled off and the interior door handle plastic chrome is peeling, creating jagged edged sharp enough to cut your hand. GM has denied all these are common issues.

Last, we are now getting strange whirring/humming noise especially under deceleration. Almost like when you stick a deck of cards in your bicycle spokes. I believe there is a TSB which addresses play in the thrust bearings in the diff which causes this.

Other than that ... this is a good truck. The interior stuff is minor but aggravating. The driveline stuff will be looked at. We have this under warranty until 100K.

I would get the extended extended warranty if possible. Im impressed with how well it rides on the hwy, very smooth, stable, quiet. I also like the way it looks (minus to goofy hybrid stickers that all had to come off).

Also, we average 17.8 mpg over the last 80K miles. Which, when you consider how my wife drives it (at 80 mph and drag race from every stop light), thats pretty good. If you put her in a conventional Tahoe it wouldnt break 12 or 13. Regarding comments on the batterys and 2 mode, our truck is only very rarely running on battery only (like 1% of the time, maybe). The second you touch the go pedal the motor fires in. Would be nice if you could over ride that and keep in battery only mode longer. No issues with battery so far, from what Im reading they usually dont have issues. Eventually it will just convert itself back to a standard Tahoe (albeit, heavier) when the battery looses its life. You would have a very touch time getting GM to replace the battery under warranty.

You certainly arent going to save the planet with this, but a 30% increase in fuel economy over the standard model is pretty significant. If you can get a good 1 used, then a full warranty for 4 yrs/100K, its a gamble that might be worth taking.

Last edited by gruvenparts.com; September 9th, 2014 at 3:41 PM.