Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bypassing DVD safety features

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypassing DVD safety features

I was wondering how you bypass the safety feature that prohibits someone from watching the DVD player from the front passenger seat while the truck is in motion. I know it can be done, as I've seen plenty of people post that they have. Is it difficult? Expensive? Let me know. Thanks. Mike
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of car is it?
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Ok, did a lil search on this simply cause I was curious too. It is illegal to just get that out of the way. But i found a link that may have what your looking for. If it were me I would not do it, I think its very unsafe.

http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick3.htm
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

it's an 08 Tahoe LTZ.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
Ok, did a lil search on this simply cause I was curious too. It is illegal to just get that out of the way. But i found a link that may have what your looking for. If it were me I would not do it, I think its very unsafe.

http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick3.htm

The other reason I was interested in bypassing it is because you can't put in navigation routes on the fly. The only functions you can do with the gps while you are moving is suspend or cancel the current route. I'd like the ability to have my passenger scroll through the address book or enter an address while we are driving. And if they want to watch a movie on a long trip, they shouldn't have to get into the back seat. It's not for me while I'm driving. And it's more for the navigation on my end. Thanks. Mike
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by LTZing
The other reason I was interested in bypassing it is because you can't put in navigation routes on the fly. The only functions you can do with the gps while you are moving is suspend or cancel the current route. I'd like the ability to have my passenger scroll through the address book or enter an address while we are driving. And if they want to watch a movie on a long trip, they shouldn't have to get into the back seat. It's not for me while I'm driving. And it's more for the navigation on my end. Thanks. Mike
I hear ya , this is a public forum and topics like this are just touchy. I dont want to promote disableing it but I hope you figure out what you want to do. Good luck
Old April 12th, 2009, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
I hear ya , this is a public forum and topics like this are just touchy. I dont want to promote disableing it but I hope you figure out what you want to do. Good luck

I gotcha. I just figured since a company sells something that disarms it, that it should be good to go. It's actually more of a pain related to the GPS than anything. We will be going down the highway and want to go somewhere off our route and we have to pull off the road and enter it instead of my wife just putting the info in while we continue down the road. Thanks for your help. Mike
Old April 12th, 2009, 4:56 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The Lockpick is what most are using but be aware that a lot of folks have had issues w/ both the units and Coastaletech.
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:07 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DVDs

I agree; my current Garmin and Fine Drive don't require me to pull over when entering a destination; I think that is more dangerous... CRAP i need to stop HERE.... so, slam brakes from 80 MPH, then merge without looking over 2 lanes, come to a complete stop along the side of the highway, enter my destination, floor it, merge over back two lanes without looking, and continue on! VS... enter the destination by touching the screen (same as changing the station / volume)... and keep driving safely down the road...

(ok, obviously this is a joke, but you get the idea)

Some states do not hinder showing video while in motion.... (from what I have heard on other forums with the Chrysler MyGig)

The price of the lockpick is what puts me off.. for a $300 lock pick, I Could buy a whole 'nother GPS....

The My Gig does allow voice entry of the destination while rolling... does the GM one?
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LTZing

A very good point.. there are definitely some functions that I would love my passeneger to perform while not completely stopped. I think I'll be getting the GMLOCKPICK as well.. $250 is a small price to pay for the convenience.

Quick Reply: Bypassing DVD safety features