Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A/C Problems in 2008 Suburban 2500.

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems in 2008 Suburban 2500.

I have been having intermittent A/C problems in my 2008 Chevy Suburban 2500. It will blow cold (not really ice cold) but cold enough then it sounds as air in a hollow tunnel with little air coming out of the vents. Almost like there is a blockage somewhere. If i turn the car off for 10 minutes it seems fine or if i turn the a/c off for around 10-15 minutes and turrn it back on it is fine for a little bit. Problem is I drive in the sesert at times in air temps sometimes hotter than 110 degrees which makes for a very uncomfortable ride. I'm pretty good with a wrench but cant seem to find/fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

After doing some research all weekend I am AMAZED at the quantity of failed GM A/C units. I have to be honest, this is my 4th Chevy truck (in a row) that I have purchased and this one has been the worst. Any help would be appreciated. Tired of being HOT!!!!
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

hard to say with the limited information:

if the compressor runs for 10mins and then stops and never start up again, try this:
with the but end of a screwdriver go out and tap on the low pressure cycling switch located at the accumulator. if the compressor starts running, the switch is bad

If the compressor is short cycling (running for a short period, shutting off and running again...repeatedly) the system may be low on refrigerant.
Old August 11th, 2014, 7:28 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I would also add to check and make sure nothing is blocking the air intake on the inside of the vehicle if the AC is set to recirculate that air can be blocked by things sucked up off the passenger side floorboard... I had this happen with a plastic bag..
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi lacityfyrman,

Sorry to hear about this concern and thanks for reaching out on the forum! I realize you are seeking the opinion of other forum members; however, we would be happy to get you in contact with a local dealership for a diagnosis. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by lacityfyrman
I have been having intermittent A/C problems in my 2008 Chevy Suburban 2500. It will blow cold (not really ice cold) but cold enough then it sounds as air in a hollow tunnel with little air coming out of the vents. Almost like there is a blockage somewhere. If i turn the car off for 10 minutes it seems fine or if i turn the a/c off for around 10-15 minutes and turrn it back on it is fine for a little bit. Problem is I drive in the sesert at times in air temps sometimes hotter than 110 degrees which makes for a very uncomfortable ride. I'm pretty good with a wrench but cant seem to find/fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Replace your battery, and re-program the censors(search forum for a thread). my 08 1500 LTZ Burb did the same thing, cold then just HOTT!!!

The re-program never held until I replaced the battery. these trucks seem very susceptible to dying batteries. I had radio noise(using AUX in), reprogramming issues, and I've read about others dealing with like said issues, battery replacement fixed all.

Mine was the original, 6 years last November.