Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

a/c shows it's overcharged

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 4:02 AM
BAD
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c shows it's overcharged

sup ppl just was wondering if anyone had any problems with their a/c overcharging. my 03' tahoe was working fine then all of a sudden i noticed check engine light came on and the engine began to run rough at idle. i could hear the a/c compressor turning on and off like it needed more refrigerant, so i checked it with an a/c gage and it showed that it was overcharged and i didn't even add any refrigerant to it. so can anyone please help me with any info you got it would be greatly appreciated.

aloha BAD
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Need to know the hi and lo pressures when compressor is running what they are at the moment it quits running, and what they are when it starts back up.
Old August 16th, 2010, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

the gauges are universal and the psi all depends on the ambiant temperature. i know ,for exaple, here in florida with a temp of 95-100, the system should hold a charge of 50-55psi. you can find a chart anywhere on the web. but dont just go by the cheapo gauge being in the yellow or red. those are just generic.
Old August 16th, 2010, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gauge can not be right. Or it is not a real AC gauge. Extra refrigerant can not just appear from nowhere like magic.
Old August 16th, 2010, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

depending on what type of gauge or gauges you are using this link has a chart that can give some guidance...http://factoidz.com/auto-air-conditi...-hot-and-cold/
Old August 16th, 2010, 8:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is another link I believe someone has posted in this forum before that has lots-o-good info... http://www.autoacforum.com/
Old August 17th, 2010, 3:13 AM
BAD
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by IvIuzzy
the gauges are universal and the psi all depends on the ambiant temperature. i know ,for exaple, here in florida with a temp of 95-100, the system should hold a charge of 50-55psi. you can find a chart anywhere on the web. but dont just go by the cheapo gauge being in the yellow or red. those are just generic.
thnx for the info. i think i need to get a real gauge like u said, the 1 i got came off those r-134 cans. saw some good gauges online so thnx again.

aloha BAD