Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can Nav-only head unit display video via Lockpick?

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Nav-only head unit display video via Lockpick?

I have an 07 LTZ with the navigation head unit but no rear seat entertainment. I'm looking at installing aftermarket rear seat entertainment (probably headrests) but I want to know if the head unit will be able to display the video from the aftermarket entertainment using the GMLockpick? Also, will the lockpick enable audio to be wired direct through the speakers w/o using an FM modulator?

Can anyone verify one way or the other?
Old November 14th, 2007, 2:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Can Nav-only head unit display video via Lockpick?

I do not think so as your radio can not play a DVD. You need a rear seat auido/video system to play a DVD.
Old November 14th, 2007, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

I understand your rationale, but I'm not asking if it can play DVD, just if it can DISPLAY the video from an after market DVD.
Old November 14th, 2007, 4:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Right, I must not have read the whole thing and jumped the gun.

Try calling CostalTech and see if they know. If they don't, then no one will.
Old November 15th, 2007, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: flwildcat

I have an 07 LTZ with the navigation head unit but no rear seat entertainment. I'm looking at installing aftermarket rear seat entertainment (probably headrests) but I want to know if the head unit will be able to display the video from the aftermarket entertainment using the GMLockpick? Also, will the lockpick enable audio to be wired direct through the speakers w/o using an FM modulator?

Can anyone verify one way or the other?
What happens if you put a DVD in the Nav unit now? Mine (with the rear seat) will play DVDs while I'm stopped regardless of the lockpick.

If yours doesn't do this then I'm guessing yours won't and the factory nav needs to be flashed with different firmware to enable DVD playback.
Old November 16th, 2007, 9:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flwildcat. I do know for sure that if you have the NAV unit without the factory rear screen it can display video up front from a aftermarket DVD player or videogame system with the help of the lock pick. When activated, it will make your Nav unit think its in reverse and activate the rear camera input, but instead of turning on your rear camera, it will display your video source, whatever it is.

But the only way that i know of to get audio from the aftermarket dvd player or video game system to the non dvd Nav unit for sure, is to use a FM modulator, or get the IPOD adapter that has the aux audio jacks on the hide-a-way box. And last but not least, you can get a RCA to 3.5 mini stereo plug to plug it into the jack in the front of the radio and just unplug it when you are not using it. You would turn on the FM modulator ,activate the IPOD aux audio jacks , or plug in the audio cable to the front of the screen and select AUX first then activate the lock pick to watch and listen to the DVD

I did ask this question before and I was hoping that some who works at a service dept could experiment or has already tried to down load the firmware/software for a DVD Nav unit to one without DVD playback. I know that it will not play a dvd because it doesnt have a physical DVD drive for movie playback( there is a DVD-ROM drive behind the screen but its only for map DVD-ROMS) but i was hoping that It would activate the AUX Video/Audio input which would allow you to connect your DVD player to the unit without having to use a modulator or the lockpick. my father in-law whats to do the same thing that you want to do. he has the same setup.

I personally installed a factory DVD nav and used wired aux Video/Audio inputs to it so I can watch and listen to the video coming from the Flipdown DVD screen that I installed without having to go through any adapters. All i have to do is push the AUX button and there you have it. or my wife can watch one movie upfront using the factory dvd player while the kids watch cartoons in the rear.

Of course if my front passenger wants video or needs to enter an address in the nav unit while I drive and pay attention to the road, I have to use the lockpick to remove the driving restriction on the screen.