Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2006, 4:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you make heads or tails of this?

When I bought the GM OEM Navigation head-unit (15882766) last week, inside the box there was this wire harness and 3 wires, along with this hand written schematic. Can anyone out there make heads or tails of this? Is this something that has to do with the voice recognition? I've been researching it, and trying to figure it out on my own by putting 2 and 2 together. I'm having no luck. Thoughts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/EC72BC8523FE4FFB9088652D96CD2B27.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/17AA58D1301C4C7FB9BE3D3862A9587E.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

Brown plug goes in back of Nav radio and wire connects to back of junction box located on firewall left of brake pedal. Looks like it connects to green wire with white stripe.

Other 2 wires attach to Pins 4 & 5 on back of Nav radio. Pin 4 taps into existing gray wire on VCI module below radio and Pin 5 taps into (looks like Blue wire)

Hope this helps
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
CF Senior Member

It's so funny. I typed this post last night, laid down to go to sleep and I said to myself, "Was that post concise enough? It seems to be, do I need to edit it?"

Anyway making "heads or tails" of this put more clearly means, what is this part for? What is the purpose of this part? What does it do? Do I need this part on the truck for the purpose of...? What ISN'T happening with the part not being in the truck? What is the VCI mod? Is this something that's going to be a problem by NOT being installed when I go to get the unit reprogrammed this morning?

What is this part for and what does it do as I can't make "heads or tails" of it, can not figure it out on my own?

Hope that's more clear.
Old December 5th, 2006, 2:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The single wire connector is the VSS wire (grn/wht) down at the junction, this wire needs to be connected to commence guidance.
The other two wires go to the OnStar (not VCI) module just below the head unit for voice recognition.

Old December 5th, 2006, 3:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that from JPcustoms? I have a speed sensor and onstar wire set coming for my nav installation. Just wondering if it the same part! I hope not, lol.
Old December 5th, 2006, 4:52 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Landon,
It is basically the same exact part that you have coming.
Old December 5th, 2006, 6:52 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great. With those instructions I am going to be lost just like TMW. I will be back when the time comes to ask questions, .
Old December 5th, 2006, 7:42 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The single wire connector is the VSS wire (grn/wht) down at the junction, this wire needs to be connected to commence guidance.
The other two wires go to the OnStar (not VCI) module just below the head unit for voice recognition.

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!!!! That's how the forum works! Thank you so much XM1100F1 for the clarity. It explains exactly why:
1. the voice recognition doesn't work with the navigation (OnStar is fine.)
2. when I go off the route the navigation sets, it doesn't recalculate and reroute.

Does that sound like the proper symptoms of not having that hooked up?

Old December 5th, 2006, 9:19 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

Great. With those instructions I am going to be lost just like TMW. I will be back when the time comes to ask questions, .
Ha, ha!

I've also just learned today that on that same brown harness, pins 6 and 7 are for the reverse camera video. 6 is positive 7 is negative. Great to know!!! Just negated my entire GM harness search. I'm just going to put a 6 volt resistor on the OEM camera's power, wire it to the reverse light, and be done with it all. Wish me luck.
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Hey ZX1100F1,

Any chance that you know what all 16 of the pins on the brown harness are?

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?