Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can't afford to drive it

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2007, 9:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't afford to drive it

Here it is - November 4th... The gas stations have started their 10% blend of ethenol in the unleaded gas, and my gas mileage has bottomed out!!!

Last night, I filled it ($75) with Mobil regular unleaded. I made certain that it was full. I drove no more than 30 miles (and that's pushing it) and I have already gone through 1/4 of the tank!!!

I'm not letting it idle... I am not driving like an idiot... The A/C is off (so is the front defogger)......

What can I do to increase the fuel economy short of driving only down hills with the engine off??? If this keeps going on like this, I'll have to sell my 07 Tahoe for a Ford Escape Hybrid.

I really do NOT want to get rid of it. The Kelly Blue Book on it is $33,250.00. I still owe $23k on it!!

HELP
Old November 4th, 2007, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can't afford to drive it

I think you need to make a trip to your dealer. The tank holds 26 gallons so 1/4 tank is 6.5 gallons which means you only got 4.6 miles to a gallon!!! I get 13-14mpg towing a 3500 lb travel trailer for the last 9000 miles.
Old November 4th, 2007, 9:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you go back and fill it up and then divide miles driven since last fill up by gallons used to refill tank? You guage may be off. Like the other poster stated 4-5 miles per gallon does not seem right.
Old November 4th, 2007, 9:53 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you check your DIC? Even E85 doesn't kill mileage that bad.
Old November 5th, 2007, 6:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your frustration with gas....in all 18400 miles on mine, i calculated that im only getting 12 mpg...and the sad part is that i would venture to say at least 12000 of them are on the hwy
Old November 5th, 2007, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

That doesn't seem right...how many miles do you have on it? Mine is right at 3000 miles and before taking a road trip two weekends ago that was about 500 miles, I was only getting about 11mpg in the city....now I am getting about 13mpg in the city. 4-5mph is ridiculous. No way could the engine being using that much fuel. Go back and fill it up again and see how much it takes to fill up....I bet the gauge is off or maybe you are sitting on an incline when reading gauge? Sometimes when I am on an incline and read fuel gauge it reads low (due to location of float in tank and shap of tank)...
Old November 5th, 2007, 8:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jlenkows

Here it is - November 4th... The gas stations have started their 10% blend of ethenol in the unleaded gas, and my gas mileage has bottomed out!!!

Last night, I filled it ($75) with Mobil regular unleaded. I made certain that it was full. I drove no more than 30 miles (and that's pushing it) and I have already gone through 1/4 of the tank!!!

I'm not letting it idle... I am not driving like an idiot... The A/C is off (so is the front defogger)......

What can I do to increase the fuel economy short of driving only down hills with the engine off??? If this keeps going on like this, I'll have to sell my 07 Tahoe for a Ford Escape Hybrid.

I really do NOT want to get rid of it. The Kelly Blue Book on it is $33,250.00. I still owe $23k on it!!

HELP
If your figures are accurate you have to have some problem (and with those numbers you would have had to have gotten a "check engine" code). I have just over 10K on my year old 07 and it averages 18 mpg in 95% highway driving @ 55-65 mph on 10% ethanol the entire time (calculated - not DIC; DIC shows about .5 mpg higher than my calculations which I attribute to temperature differences when doing fillups).

Are you saying you noticed the mileage drop off immediately after the ethanol switch over?
Old November 5th, 2007, 7:27 PM
CF Active Member

Besides, read the reviews on the Escape hybrids, they are terrible on mileage, better than a tahoe? Sure, but not much better.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a similar problem in my 2003 Tahoe, the first and last 1/4 tanks give me a mpg of 9-10 mpg while the center 1/2 gives almost 16-17 on 85% city and 15% highway. It averages out to about 14-15 mpg but haven't been able to find anything that would be a cause as of yet.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Here in so California, we are paying 3.15 a gallon. From the price of oil and the recent poor margins reported by big oil companies, i would expect to pay $4.00 or more in the not so distant future! Perhaps $5.00 a gallon is not out of the question!!!

Quick Reply: Can't afford to drive it