Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can't remove rear seat problem in my Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove rear seat problem in my Suburban

The seat in my 2003 Suburban was incorrectly re installed such that the seat is racked and can not be removed.

There are three hooks that hold the seat to the floor of the vehicle. The hook on the driver's side of the seat is fully closed around the steel pin in the floor as it should be. The hook in the middle of the seat is not closed and the hook on the passenger seat is closed but is sitting on top of the pin. The seat is 1 1/2" higher on the passenger side.

The cables and mechanisms are intact and the seat functioned properly until it was re installed incorrectly

The latch (#1) on the rear of the seat will no longer move far enough to allow the seat to be folded down. This is the action that opens the hooks and allows the seat to be removed.

Any thoughts on how to resolve the problem?
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

My daughter's '04 Denali had a similar problem. When it was in for an oil change, the tech worked on it for about 1/2 hour w/ various pry bars and finally got it unlatched. No charge. Props to Cable-Dahmer Chevrolet.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are able to see the latch... you might try looping the fully latched one with a stiff cable with a loop at the end to pull it open, maybe a long shafted screw driver...
How'ed it get in that position anyway? I asked so that anyone else taking the seat out will have a heads up to be aware...
Old March 22nd, 2012, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How it got that way

My 19 year old daughter re installed the seat and somehow only hooked one side before opening the seat. When the seat opened that locked the thing into place. She didn't realize anything was wrong. It wasn't until weeks later when I went to remove the seat that I discovered the problem