Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Car Honks Three Times Every Time I Close the Door?

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2018, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car Honks Three Times Every Time I Close the Door?

I have a 2018 Chevy Suburban; every single time I close any door on my car (driver, passenger, etc.), whether I'm inside or not, the horn honks three times quickly. I have absolutely no idea how to disable this, and I haven't found anything useful in the manual; I've also done a full factory reset on my settings to no avail. I also noticed that the small red light on top of my dash flashes slowly once the car is locked (which I know is telling me that the alarm system is "armed") but I'm not sure if this is related to the honking. Any help at all is really appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2018, 1:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pretty sure the three honks are telling you there's a key fob in the vehicle. Are you keeping the extra one in the glove box, console, or the "secret" storage compartment?
Old April 1st, 2018, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Pretty sure the three honks are telling you there's a key fob in the vehicle. Are you keeping the extra one in the glove box, console, or the "secret" storage compartment?
That's what I thought at first too, but I have one extra key, which is at home and not inside the car. Also, anytime I've left the key inside the car in the past, the warning I got was 3 sort of digital "chimes," but now I'm actually getting 3 honks from the car's horn.
Old April 1st, 2018, 5:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have more than one fob?
Old April 1st, 2018, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

@kevinkpk, I do, but as it turns out the problem magically resolved itself overnight... I really don't know what happened, because I really don't think it was related to my keys, but nevertheless I guess the problem is gone now. Thanks the help though.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will also do this if a door is not completely closed, the rear hatch is not completely latched or the shifter is not completely in Park.