Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

changing gear ratio?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 9:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing gear ratio?

hey guys,
i was trying to read up on this but couldnt find a answer. i have a 2008 burb 1500 4x4 with tow package and with a 3.73 gear ratio. well after paying a visit to the scale i am right at my tow max, 6400lbs loaded trailer+450lbs on passengers. would a gear change to a 4.11 bring my towing capacity up or would it stay the same and would just make the towing easier?
also i have a weight ditribution hitch and a sway control and brake controller on the burb, what else could be done to improve my towing?
thanks for your help....
Old January 25th, 2013, 9:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically all it would do is improve pulling performance. outside of putting a heavier springs and all under the truck it's going to still be the same weight amount.

going to 4.11 will also bring down mpg to a small degree. If it's pulling fine now I'd leave it as is. going a little overweight isn't going to kill anything unless your doing it everyday all the time.

:chug:
Old January 25th, 2013, 2:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with hicksvilleshick save that with the increased "ease" of pulling with the 4.11, your gas mileage may not suffer all that much, and if you really get in a bind, you always have low range.

Additionally, you might consider what tires you have on your rig now. Most replacements are Load Rated on probabilities. Those being that you normally won't put very heavy loads on them, which isn't the case with a heavy Tow.

Below, are a couple "Rule of Thumb" examples. First, the Load Rating you should have to safely operate. You need to plug in the numbers specific to your situation.

Example for Tire Load Rating...
Vehicle Dry Weight.......5000 lbs
Carry Load (1/2 ton)....1000 lbs
Total is 6000 div by 2 = 3000 lbs
So if Maximum Load Rating is between 2750 and 3000 lbs per tire, you're ok.
(the closer your are in this example to 3000 the safer you are)

Load Ratings for Tires, are based on pressures at or near their Maximum Cold Inflation Pressures (MCIP). That pressure (found stamped on the sidewall of the Tire), though seemingly high, is the Manufacturers guarantee, that the Tire can be operated safely at it, for the Tire's life. So, don't be afraid to use it, because the efficiency of the Tire increases as you approach that pressure, IF you have the proper width Rims on your Vehicle. Again, plug in your specific numbers.

Rule of thumb is to air at or no lower than 90% of MCIP.
Example:
Tire list 44 lbs as MCIP... then 40-44 lbs is acceptable for normal use, and I'd put it at 1 lb under MCIP when towing.

There are numerous advantages in performance and safety, by using these higher pressures.

PS: Keep in mind, that changing your Gear Ratio is X2 (front and rear) on a 4WD ! = $$$$

Last edited by SWHouston; January 26th, 2013 at 1:46 PM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 2:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
basically all it would do is improve pulling performance. outside of putting a heavier springs and all under the truck it's going to still be the same weight amount.

going to 4.11 will also bring down mpg to a small degree. If it's pulling fine now I'd leave it as is. going a little overweight isn't going to kill anything unless your doing it everyday all the time.

:chug:
I agree. There isn't much difference with a 3.73- 4.11, however it (4.11) will be lower, and you will see some loss of gpm when not loaded. Other thing you need to be aware of if your not, both front, and rear diff better be the same ratio.
Old January 25th, 2013, 6:18 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

You could go w/ a smaller diameter tire which would also lower the final drive ratio. To get the full 10% reduction tho, you probably have to go to a low profile tire or smaller wheel/tire combo. And your speedo will be overdriven. Dealer can fix that tho for a fee.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shark's idea is quite viable, but remember...

All four Tires must be the same diameter, because of your 4WD and ABS.