Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Charging system operation 2017 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charging system operation 2017 Suburban

We just picked this truck up (2017 Suburban) and I have a charging system question. During normal driving about half the time the gauge indicates pretty low. I didn't really think to much about it until I hard wired my radar detector this weekend which also gives you a system voltage reading and it's usually around 12.4-12.6. If I shut the truck off and restart it, immediately jumps up to around 15 volts. And if I don't shut off and restart it, I have seen it stay super low for 30-40 minutes it's not like it's a momentary thing. I have not yet had to jump start it or anything, but is just seems not normal to me and I don't want to get stuck with 6 kids somewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 30th, 2018, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is normal operation for late model vehicles. They only charge the system as it needs it. Supposedly this new feedback charging system improves fuel economy and alternator life.
Old October 31st, 2018, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks that's what I was wondering!

Originally Posted by Tdub
This is normal operation for late model vehicles. They only charge the system as it needs it. Supposedly this new feedback charging system improves fuel economy and alternator life.