Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Checking Oil Level?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2008, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Oil Level?

I have a 2008 Tahoe LT 5.3 engine.

I had the oil & filter changed today and the invoice I received said they put in 7 quarts of oil?? I knew (?) the owners manual said 6 quarts was required? I pointed this out to the desk cleark and he just changed it to 6 quarts and charged me accordingly.

I really wanted to verify the oil level!! I have tried to check the oil level with the dip stick and I have not been successful at getting a clear reading. I let it set for several hours, but when I checked it it seems that the oil on the dip stick is "smeared" for several inches and I just can't tell the true level. What trouble, if any, do I have if in fact it is a quart overfull?

Anyone have a "trick" for checking the oil level or is it just me??????

Thanks in advance for responding.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 7:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Checking Oil Level?

The 07 is 6 qrts magin the 08 is the same. I would suspect the 7 qrts was a typo. Call your service writer and ask him/her to clarify

The reading on the dip stick should be where you see the heaviest oil mark and it should be in the hatched area or between the full marks. Cohesion will draw it up a bit on the stick. Anything past the full mark with the engine cold is probably a wee high.