Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chev reimbursement for engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2018, 1:09 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chev reimbursement for engine replacement?

2008 suburban 95K miles, recently had stabilitrak and cyclinder 1 misfire. Dealer quoted $5K for driver side cam, all new valves/lifters with a 12mos/12K warr. Other option was for a reman. motor w/parts/labor for around $5750 +tax which would have a 3yr/100K warr. We chose to go with the reman for a little more $$$ but a lot better warr. The reman also will have GM's engine upgrades to help with the oil consumption problem that we were also experiencing. GM has had soo much problems with the AFM and just wondering if they have any reimbursement for those experiencing problems and lots of $$$$ out of pocket? Thanks. Jeff
Old March 14th, 2018, 4:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm guessing nope...
& you wouldn't gett much anyways
Old March 14th, 2018, 8:21 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Money/reimbursement from GM? LoL. Thanks for the laugh, OP. Sorry about your AFM troubles.
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM doesn't like to pay out for deaths, let alone an engine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...switch_recalls
Old March 16th, 2018, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JefftheGMguy
2008 suburban 95K miles, recently had stabilitrak and cyclinder 1 misfire. Dealer quoted $5K for driver side cam, all new valves/lifters with a 12mos/12K warr. Other option was for a reman. motor w/parts/labor for around $5750 +tax which would have a 3yr/100K warr. We chose to go with the reman for a little more $$$ but a lot better warr. The reman also will have GM's engine upgrades to help with the oil consumption problem that we were also experiencing. GM has had soo much problems with the AFM and just wondering if they have any reimbursement for those experiencing problems and lots of $$$$ out of pocket? Thanks. Jeff
You might want to double check all the fluids after the engine replacement. I went thru the same thing with my 08 Suburban. About a month later the transmission went too. My neighbor owns a transmission shop said the transmission fluid was really low and probably caused the damage. No way to prove it, but I'd check if I were you.

BTW, if you figure out how to get GM to pay for your engine let me know. I have a big bill waiting for them.
Old March 24th, 2018, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

They'll replace the engine if you already bought one engine from them at full price and it dies while installed in the same car (friend figured that out, they had to replace it twice. He paid for the labor to replace it after the first Goodwrench engine failed instead of doing it on his own again, then it failed again so GM paid the labor the second time). They wont do anything but replace what you got though, so if you installed the engine yourself...you get to install another one yourself. If you paid GM to do it, then they'll pay GM to do it the next time around.
Old March 26th, 2018, 8:35 AM
CF Junior Member

I wish GM would eliminate the AFM, it has no real value or benefit.
Old March 26th, 2018, 8:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

8 to 15% fuel mileage and tax relief for fuel mileage rating for the gm fleet.
they don't put it on the 4.8 and 6.0L
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcjones
I wish GM would eliminate the AFM, it has no real value or benefit.
It helps GM play the "government regulations" game, and not get obliterated by CAFE penalties.

Ford plays the game, too, though they went the turbo route, instead of cylinder deactivation.
Old March 27th, 2018, 4:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by intheburbs
It helps GM play the "government regulations" game, and not get obliterated by CAFE penalties.

Ford plays the game, too, though they went the turbo route, instead of cylinder deactivation.
I should have said it doesn't have any real value to the purchaser or owner of the vehicle.