Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chevy Tahoe brake/fuel lines corroded

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chevy Tahoe brake/fuel lines corroded

We have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. Last year we had all of the soft brake lines replaced due to corrosion. Last week, we had all of the hard brake lines replaced and when they took the gas tank out to get to the brake lines that run on top of it, the fuel lines went because they were rusted and corroded as well. So, we've had all brake lines (soft and hard) replaced along with the fuel lines.
My question is....this morning when I started the Tahoe, I noticed dripping coming from the tail pipe. I know this is normal. It's a very cold morning here. However, I also noticed dripping coming from underneath the car where the gas tank is. I turned the car off and grabbed a paper towel to dip into the liquid that dripped so I could tell what it might be. There was no color or scent.
If it were gas, wouldn't it have a scent? Could it simply be water moisture, as well? I'm confused but afraid to drive the car for fear it's gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Only you can tell. If it smells like gas then it is gas. If it is odorless then it is water. Brake fluid also has an odor.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Condensation from the tail pipe is normal, it is possible that condensation also formed on or around the gas tank. Given that you have such a moisture/condensation issue where you live I would suspect it is just that..water, fuel will have a definite distinct smell to it especially if it was a fresh drip..
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Some mufflers have a drain hole in them.
Old February 17th, 2014, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may ask, what did this cost you? Thanks!

Originally Posted by famv5
We have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe. Last year we had all of the soft brake lines replaced due to corrosion. Last week, we had all of the hard brake lines replaced and when they took the gas tank out to get to the brake lines that run on top of it, the fuel lines went because they were rusted and corroded as well. So, we've had all brake lines (soft and hard) replaced along with the fuel lines.
My question is....this morning when I started the Tahoe, I noticed dripping coming from the tail pipe. I know this is normal. It's a very cold morning here. However, I also noticed dripping coming from underneath the car where the gas tank is. I turned the car off and grabbed a paper towel to dip into the liquid that dripped so I could tell what it might be. There was no color or scent.
If it were gas, wouldn't it have a scent? Could it simply be water moisture, as well? I'm confused but afraid to drive the car for fear it's gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!