Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cold Air Intake on Suburban; worth it?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2011, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake on Suburban; worth it?

I've been averaging about 16.5-19 MPG on my '08 Burb, and was wondering if a K&N cold air intake is worth the cost. I did the theoretic calculations, and it turns about $1,000 in gas costs saved annually. Does anyone have one that they can speak for from personal experience?

I have not a single modification on by bone stock Suburban, and I'm not a crazy driver; I do lots of highway driving and a good portion of my 90K miles are also city driving.

Thanks for any input
Old September 20th, 2011, 7:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1,000 in gas savings annually...if that was the actual case every single person would have one considering they cost around $300
I have had other cold air intakes on many different cars and ultimately saw negligible if any gas mileage increases.
the main thing you get with a CAI on a stock engine is increased engine sound and "some" increases in power but only very high in the RPM band. If you are driving this beast in that high of the RPM band then your mileage will really suck
it surely will not hurt and it does dress up the engine bay but dont expect to save much money on gas in real world driving.
Old September 20th, 2011, 9:01 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Well said.
Old September 26th, 2011, 3:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ousig2408
$1,000 in gas savings annually...if that was the actual case every single person would have one considering they cost around $300
I have had other cold air intakes on many different cars and ultimately saw negligible if any gas mileage increases.
the main thing you get with a CAI on a stock engine is increased engine sound and "some" increases in power but only very high in the RPM band. If you are driving this beast in that high of the RPM band then your mileage will really suck
it surely will not hurt and it does dress up the engine bay but dont expect to save much money on gas in real world driving.
K&N air filter in the stock OEM location, pull the maf sensor screen.
DONE. Don't waste your money.