Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cold weather steering issue - '99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather steering issue - '99 Tahoe

In very cold weather my Tahoe experiences a bizarre steering problem. While attempting to make a right hand turn at speeds around 20-30 mph the steering wheel "locks up" momentarily but then frees up with additional exertion on the wheel. The really bizarre thing is that it happens in only one of two locations, both within a 1/4 mile of my house. It has never happened making a right turn from a stop or making a right turn at higher speeds.

Let me try to explain better. When I leave my house I can go 2 different ways. Going one way I travel about 150 feet to a stop sign. I make a 90° right, go around a 90° left turn to another stop sign (about 200-300 feet between stop signs). I make a 90° right and about 500 feet up the road there is a subtle (<30°) right turn and this is where the steering momentarily locks up. The other way from my house has a stop sign about 500 feet from my house. I make a 90° left and again about 500 feet up there is a subtle right turn which is where I experience the steering lockup. Either way, once I get through that initial lockup it does not seem to happen again until the next time I leave my house. So the problem seems to be 1) cold related, 2) right turn related, 3) speed related, and 4) distance related (always happens within the first 1/4 mile). The experience to me feels as if there is a piece of ice in the steering box that eventually causes the wheel to lock and turning the wheel harder breaks the piece of ice.

I have read various online postings about steering issues with the Tahoe (and similar GM vehicles) and know there is even a TSB concerning a steering issue. However I can't find the entire TSB to see if it addresses my problem. I would like to get the problem resolved if possible but only if it is not too costly. I have lived with the problems for 3 years now and even though there are times it still catches me by surprise it doesn't cause me to panic. The worse that happens is oversteering the turn when the wheel finally frees up or fishtailing if the road is icy.

Does anyone have a link to the complete TSB?
Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Does anyone know of what the fix is to this issue. if any?

Thanks for your responses.