Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban or Expodition

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban or Expodition

Im new here so take it easy on me. Ive been a chevy owner practically my whole life. My first was a 74 Cheyenne stepside and my latest is a tahoe with 6 chevys in between. Now that Im a parent of 3..but love having a "truck" ive reached a crossroads. Put quite simply...what is it going to take for Chevy to come up with something less clunky for its 3rd row option. Seriously, its not really even removable....and storing it is worse. Which brings up my dilemma. Ford has push button 3rd row that folds flat. Is there some kind of patent issue here? Im looking to buy and I think for the first time ever i might buy a FORD..errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

anyway, im sure someone has hashed this out on this forum before, but I couldnt find anything.
Old June 26th, 2010, 9:04 AM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giants1464
Im new here so take it easy on me. Ive been a chevy owner practically my whole life. My first was a 74 Cheyenne stepside and my latest is a tahoe with 6 chevys in between. Now that Im a parent of 3..but love having a "truck" ive reached a crossroads. Put quite simply...what is it going to take for Chevy to come up with something less clunky for its 3rd row option. Seriously, its not really even removable....and storing it is worse. Which brings up my dilemma. Ford has push button 3rd row that folds flat. Is there some kind of patent issue here? Im looking to buy and I think for the first time ever i might buy a FORD..errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

anyway, im sure someone has hashed this out on this forum before, but I couldnt find anything.
I totally agree that a better third row is in order for Chevy. However choosing the Expedition because of that feature is a bad choice (in my opinion). Here's why I think so:

-The Suburban has nearly 2x as much cargo space behind the third row
-The Suburban gets better mileage
-The Suburban has more comfortable seats

The third row is clunky, but it is removeable, and it is foldable. I haven't yet, but would like to compare how much cargo room you have in the Suburban if you fold the third row down versus the expedition with it's seat fully stowed. I would be willing to bet the Suburban still has more cargo room.

edited to add: my point is that you would be concerned about fold flat seats if your only option was a paltry 10 inches of room behind the rear seat. I can get a months worth of supplies from Costco behind my third row, without even folding down the seatback.

Last edited by dh1; June 26th, 2010 at 9:06 AM.
Old June 27th, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think i can spell Expedition right?

Sorry, i had a couple of beers before I posted that. Thanks for the reply DH1
I see your point that the burban has more room...but the fact is my wife simply cant handle those seats. even flipping them up requires her to crawl in on her hands and knees. If chevy would just freakin innovate a bit...design to their customers...my wife wouldn't be demanding a mini-van right now :-)