Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Complete disapointment with Chevy trucks

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Complete disapointment with Chevy trucks

I have owned 3 suburbans, 5 chevy pickups and my Dad has a new Chevy Impala. All of our older Chevy trucks and Suburbans were great vehicles and we loved them, comfortable, great mileage and held up to all our abuse.

After buying my latest Suburban I have had nothing but problems. Cracked Dash, Cracked chrome door handles, poor interior cloth, ***** that fall off and a multitude of mechanical problems with Stabilitrack/ 4 wheel drive and so on.

My Dads impala has been in the shop more than hes driven it. We both have fewer than 75K miles on these new cars. My Suburban spent over a month off and on in the dealearship with no repair. Went in one time with 17 codes on the computer and only was able to diagnose a few of them. Because Im the third owner of the car and the age is 2008 I am not covered by warranty anymore and the dealer loves seeing me come in!

Sadly, I have decided to move over to a new manufacture and try my luck with another company! One thing I will never forget about this experience is being told by a mechanic "probably not a good idea to buy a car from a company while they are trying to stay out of bankruptcy protection"

If only I had thought of this sooner! I now sit with a poorly made Suburban that feels more like a Kia than a luxury vehicle!!

disappointed by Chevrolet for the last time!
Old February 16th, 2014, 4:31 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

bankruptcy, is something to look for no doubt...

My advice would be to do homework on any vehicle, if you want a Ford, join a Ford forum prior to the purchase and look for threads on repeated problems...
Unfortunately any vehicle is going to have problems of some sort... though if I have to have them, I would rather they be cosmetic than mechanical...
When you do have problems , join a forum and make those comments, that is what gets the word out and gets the ear and eye of manufactures....
and follow up with them getting fixed or not, that is what makes forums work...
Old February 16th, 2014, 4:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have no particular brand loyalty. Have owned Ford, GM and Chrysler products. When we were shopping for a new minivan, the Toyota Siena was a close #2 to the Town & Country.

Currently have an 08 2500 Burb and an 09 Impala. Bought the Burb used, have had the Impala since it was new. Both vehicles have NEVER been in for unscheduled service. Burb has 118K miles, Impala has 80k. Biggest issue with the Impala was a battery replacement at 50k. Luck of the draw, I guess....
Old February 16th, 2014, 5:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. My 07 2500 has 100,400 miles on it. It has no cracks in the dash, door handles are fine etc. It has never really had a major mech. issue other then broken exhaust manifold bolts common on the 6.0, Not bad for a vehicle built in Mexico. If i had to get rid of it it would be replaced with another Suburban 2500. 2 of the Worst vehicles io have owned were 2 Diesel powered Ford Excursions
Old February 16th, 2014, 6:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Hey dont diss kia! We have 2005 Kia Amanti (I know old person car) but it has 200K miles on it! Still on original timing belt and water pump. (should have been replaced 3 time by now) It has needed MUCH LESS work than our 2007 Suburban. It has need all 4 struts, all 4 rotors, both serpentine belts, power steering cooler, battery, and rear wheel bearing all replaced ONCE. That is the ENTIRE list of servicing for the car since 2006 with less 20K when we bought it. It is a quite, comfy floaty that doesn't owe us a dime.

The stupid burb however... Holy crap, talk about disappointment. I here ya. The 02 barely asked for anything, but this one, unacceptable. I will be AMAZED to get NEAR 200K... (right now at 132K)

Also, just bought 2014 Kia Optima, love the car... (made in USA!)
Old February 17th, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was notified this morning 2008 is when chevy had all the interior problems. 2007 you still had good plastic and interior. Advice I was given was don't buy a 2008 or 2009 chevy product. terrible quality
Old February 17th, 2014, 6:06 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by d450heavy
I was notified this morning 2008 is when chevy had all the interior problems. 2007 you still had good plastic and interior. Advice I was given was don't buy a 2008 or 2009 chevy product. terrible quality
Thank you , that should explain it. Also i have never used Armor All on my dash
I think it does more harm then good.
Old February 17th, 2014, 7:29 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Hey dont diss kia! We have 2005 Kia Amanti (I know old person car) but it has 200K miles on it! Still on original timing belt and water pump. (should have been replaced 3 time by now) It has needed MUCH LESS work than our 2007 Suburban. It has need all 4 struts, all 4 rotors, both serpentine belts, power steering cooler, battery, and rear wheel bearing all replaced ONCE. That is the ENTIRE list of servicing for the car since 2006 with less 20K when we bought it. It is a quite, comfy floaty that doesn't owe us a dime.

The stupid burb however... Holy crap, talk about disappointment. I here ya. The 02 barely asked for anything, but this one, unacceptable. I will be AMAZED to get NEAR 200K... (right now at 132K)

Also, just bought 2014 Kia Optima, love the car... (made in USA!)

How much towing, 4 wheeling and off-roading do you do in that Kia?
Old February 17th, 2014, 9:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Thats why we have the burb. For towing, road trips, etc. But the Kia does not owe us a single penny, the burb however... Owes us quite a bit still. I currently don't have single bad thing to say about the Kia. Never been to a dealer ship for work, have done every bit of service to it, and not much... The suburban has needed way to much work for the age and miles.

Also, we have a December, 2006 Made in Mexico Suburban and it has the cracked dash on the passenger side, and had the chrome coming off the handles (that hurt!), and we still have the washer fluid heater, works well as long you turn it off after the first hot spray. The Kia, not a single recall or problem... Korean car, made in Korea, vs "American" built in Mexico... Cheap $$ vs Expensive $$$$