Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Confused Component speaker question

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused Component speaker question

I hope I have posted this in the correct area so here goes,
I have readseveral posts, questions, answers the many different issues with Chevys stereoproblems. A lot of the answers say that if a speakers are bad the system willshut down do weird things etc.. My 04 Tahoe with the Bose system currently isnot working (no sound) I have purchased some component speakers to start replacingthe factory ones. I have only completed the front pass side and b4 I go furtherplease advise if when I dc the factorytweeter and connect the new tweeter via the new crossover is the factory systemgoing to read there is a fault in the system and not work properly because thefactory tweeter is no longer connected? If so how do I correct this and makethe system work again? Thanks.fficeffice" /><o></o>
Old June 15th, 2013, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

ugh. Bose Blose...

Here is the score with Bose... and this varies from year to year, vehicle to vehicle... you name it.

At times, Bose has had totally proprietary hardware, short of the head unit. Their speaker enclosures had their own amps (some running as low as 1 ohm stable) to power their little 4" driver in these seriously complex speaker boxes to port the air around.

Bose sometimes uses a mix of concepts, perhaps as simple as just tuning the OEM system. Or providing a central amp, which runs at some weird impedance.

Now, I don't know the layout of the system in the Tahoe, but let me advise this:

Gut the entire Bose system out, from head unit to speaker, and lay in an all new aftermarket system. Done. No more fickle components failing... Figure this, the entire system is nearly 10 years old, how much longer do you think the head or amps will continue to function?

You should also get ahold of a factory service manual (available on DVD from ebay for chump change) and research how the system is laid out.

I have such a DVD and will do some checking shortly... in other words, I will be back.

However, just consider this... because if you wire this up wrong, you potentially have a bigger problem.

I don't remember, do the 04 Tahoe's have all that integrated nav and climate control crap? Or is the audio separate? It is on my 99 Suburban, but that is also pure DelCo. And actually sounds pretty good.
Old June 15th, 2013, 8:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Tahoe should have an amp after the head unit and then after the amp there should be cross over for the Front speakers above the foot area of the driver and passenger. The rest of the speakers should have the cross overs on them or the amp filters out sound automatically.

And yes bose blose...
Whats sad is the bose in our 2007 is even MORE pathetic than the bose in our 2002. wow, good job bose....
Old June 17th, 2013, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your replies and yes I am putting in a new HU, a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH in and with everything that i have read it looks like I will go ahead n replace the amp using line level converters or RCA from the HU to the new amp I am going to have to see what will work because I have already purchaced the convertion kit from crutchfield because i want to keep the stering wheel controles etc. I have been told that the rear stand alone DVD system will no longer work on the head phone connection in the rear center console n that it will now be broadcast through all the speakers. I will just fade it all to the rear if I dont want to hear it up front. Any links or knowledge on how to (Wire colors) that will be used for the amp change would be great.
Old June 17th, 2013, 6:54 PM
CF Senior Member

You want to keep the factory amp in place, hook up the Line level To RCA to the bose amp, and then run the RCA's to the new amp. This will maintain FULL functionality.
Old June 17th, 2013, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Im not even sure the factory amp is working n I think not because the radio wont play throught the speakers but if you hook up head phones to the rear center console you can hear the DVD and the radio. In that mass jumble of wires going to the amp do you know or have you found any picks of what wire goes to what so I can start a plan?
Old June 17th, 2013, 8:01 PM
CF Senior Member

there are many pics and guides how to integrate aftermarket with oem for Tahoes/Suburban/Yukon/YokonXL. Hmmm. Wont play at all... I would check fuses. i have a separate AMP fuse under the hood of my burb and then one for the NAV unit.