Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Considering Buying a 2004 Suburban LT

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2015, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Buying a 2004 Suburban LT

Hi! I'm new to this forum and could use feedback on a Suburban LT that I'm thinking of purchasing. It's a 2004 Suburban LT with just over 120k miles on it. I've never owned a Chevy SUV, and I'd like to hear what your experience has been like, particularly for first-time SUV purchasers of higher-mileage vehicles, as this would be my primary vehicle for day-to-day usage. I wouldn't use it for heavy towing or off-roading, I'm moving to a cold-weather, snowy climate area and I need 4-wheel-drive to ensure I can get around safely. Any and all feedback is highly welcomed and appreciated!
Old November 18th, 2015, 5:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

An '04 Burb with 120k has plenty of life in it. I was pulling a 7,000-lb trailer around the country with my '01 with the odometer as high as 175k. It's now at 215k with the original engine and transmission.

Fuel pump and rust are probably the biggest things to watch for. If it has the original fuel pump, it'll be dying shortly, and it's about $800 to have a mechanic do it. Check the rocker panels and the bottoms of the inside of the middle doors for rust. Not much you can do about it, but you can use it to beat the seller down on price.

Make sure all the windows raise and lower smoothly and quickly. Another known issue.

Otherwise, they're great vehicles. You won't be disappointed.
Old November 18th, 2015, 7:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transfer cases are also a weak link, I've been shopping about the same vintage and they seem to have pump rub issues that nub thru the side of the t-case.
Old November 19th, 2015, 8:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned 3 different generations, all used pretty much as a daily driver and family cruiser, but I drive fast and hard...

1994 was a tank and power train was strong at 180k miles, then it got hit and totaled. I owned this one since it was brand new. the next two below i bought used. Cost to own was almost just related to fuel only.... very little repairs which were all done by me.

2001 was the replacement at 120k. I wanted the 2004 because of its double din stereo , better braking upgrades overall a much more tight/precise handling truck over the previous gen. . It was also a tank as it actually pushed thru 30" of fresh snow fall. Struggled but wouldn't get stuck while in a level area. The whole neighborhood was crippled as the plows were not expected to come for days and there I was chugging along with my suburban. Excellent truck, sold it at 190k still running strong. Tranny a bit sluggish on super cold mornings when it first gets going. Noticed that the last year I had it so thats why I decided to sell it. Oh i did have AT tires on it but not very aggressive looking but I guess enough to grip & push thru all that snow.

2007 is the same truck but with a much better look with a ****load of bells and whistles (mine is loaded). Downside is that it it is not really a truck anymore... too many cheap plastic parts like the front air dam which ripped off while slowly driving thru about 10" of plowed snow. The whole front end is plastic and buckles at the wheel wells when hitting heavy thick snow. Its like you have to tip toe thru the snow where as with the last 2 gens i would just floor it. However the traction & stability control will help keep it on the road. Other downside is the 8 to 4 cyc engine that sooooooo many people got screwed on by GM. Knock on wood that mine has not had any issues in that chapter but it does goes thru 1 qt oil between changes depending on how hard i drive, and that I understand is to be expected.

All in All, if it was not for the look of the 04 (which is actually not bad) it would be my pick for a good rugged family rig that I would feel most comfortable in when driving in the snow. I am sure your 04 was well taken care of, it will see over 200k with minimal repairs compared to other vehicles.

Everything will eventually break, its just how bad & how much ($)..... Over the years, my suburbans have easily had a less "cost to own" ratio than so many other vehicles that I consider it a "No Brainer". (not sure about the 07 as its still being put to the test @ 115k)

Oh, one more thing... When I was looking for the 2001-2006 replacement suburban, i drove over a dozen of them and the 01 that I selected drove like it was brand new.. so smooth and instant power. I can tell when looking under the hood that there was some newer engine parts but not a newer engine. It was the last one I tested and when it spun the tires pulling out of the lot during my test drive, I said "SOLD". All the others ran tired, sluggish or just rough. I picked a good one and hope you do to.

Good Luck

Last edited by 94burbin; November 19th, 2015 at 8:29 AM.