Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Converting to passive rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2019, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to passive rear suspension.

1: Rear suspension, Hi all, by this time we all know about the suspension conversion from air ride to passive. I'm replacing the rear suspension and my question is, do I have to also replace the coils or can I leave them and just install shocks? I already removed the compressor and air shocks. Also where can I buy the resistors to trick the computer to not get the annoying error message to service suspension?

2: Front suspension, Can I leave the front struts alone and not convert them to passive or do I also have to change them? I don't see air lines just an electrical plug on top of strut.

Your help is tremendously appreciated.
Old June 6th, 2019, 10:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The resistor kits are all over ebay. You can also do a little searching on the watts and ohms and build your own. I don't know off the top of my head what to use.

I went with the reman autoride rear air shocks from Arnott. They are still working perfectly after 7+ years.

Yes. You can leave the front struts alone if they are working properly. The front struts don't have air bags, just electronic dampening.

Today, I did the right front strut with passive Arnott on my suburban. The ride is significantly better. Arnott supplies a resistor with the strut. Amazon had them $20 off per strut so I grabbed them. The original right one was leaking and providing a horrible ride. After every bump, the wheel would bounce for several seconds. I'm waiting on the other strut to arrive as it shipped from across the country.
Old June 6th, 2019, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! So can I use the existing rear springs and just install the shocks?
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:42 PM
CF Senior Member

I'm not sure about the springs. Most of the electronic to passive kits include springs. I'm assuming they are a little stiffer to make up for not having air bags. I drove for years with blown air bags on mine with stock springs and everything felt fine so who knows..
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Found some forum posts that say the stock springs aren't stiff enough for regular shocks so it looks like new shocks are recommended.